Digital Photography

Hi Guys,

I know that on this forum there is some people that are users of Digital Photography.

I'm actually thinking about getting one of these wonderful tool.

I'm a Minolta user as a Film's user by the way.

I'm wondering wich gear you would advice : Nikkon D70S or Canon 350D ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys,

I know that on this forum there is some people that are users of Digital Photography.

Thanks in advance.

d70 no question...i have no canon/nikon bias and if someone does they are an idiot.both are practically the same as far as image quality,canon boasts more megapixels but there is no visible difference between 6 and 8 mp camera's up to 11x14 even.i like the d70 because it seems like a more capable camera,controls are all accessed by one dial instead of menu's (as seen on professional slr's)and also the d70 (and the d50 even) have 1/500 flash synch which is extremely high for a 'consumer' slr (the $4,000 d2x has 1/250) and if youve ever shot in harsh light with fill flash synch speed is important.alot of working 'pro's' i know skip the $4,000 d2x and use d70's and put they're money into good glass...anyway....d70 all the way in my opinion i love mine

d70: dsc16394hu.th.jpg

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

Hi

some of my friends has canon models, they says canon more pro

• Premium Member

You'll have no problem with either camera package so you can make your choice. From a pros

standpoint I think Canon will look a little blue,cool(lenses,camera programs). I'm speaking now

of digital photography. Nikon will look a little warm. You can argue all day long about which makes

best lens,camera. As matter of fact Canon actually broke away from Nikon(they were Nikon) many

years ago. When they broke away they just manufactured lenses and then later manfactured their

own cameras. I'm actually a Nikon man because thats what I started with. I know my Nikon cameras

and lenses well,feel very comfortable with them and I do not fear wrong settings on camera. As a re-

sult the Nikon camera,lens is an extension of my eye,my hand. "The Eye of The Photographer. Now

having talked about cool,warm look,let me say this; it doesn't matter in the the digital format. When you

go to digital post workflow you will be able to vary your color and saturation in your color space. That

is the beautiful thing about digital photography. Unfortunately for me I am very obsessed with Canon

aso. My only criticism of Canon lenses is that once in a while I will run across a Canon lens that is a

little softer than I like. If you are just starting digital still photography I would suggest that you use

Photoshop software. If you are doing your own digital workflow you can work in RGB or sRGB. If you

use a digital lab you should shoot there colorspace. You will probably find that most professional labs

are working in the sRGB color space. I consider the Canon 20D to be a fine digital camera and I use

two of them as backups to my Canon EOS-1 D Mark II N. I also use a Canon EOS-1N as a film camera.

Today I shot a model in a dept. store with all four Canon cameras. All Canon prime lenses. two kino-flos

and some make-up lights from the store's counter top. Had her lean over me so I was shooting up at her.

I was lying on the floor shooting up and I had a fan blowing her hair. I'm looking at the shots right now on

my number two computer here and I'm making contact sheets with Photoshop CS2. I showed the shots to

the agency rep,director on a Sharp 15" monitor with perfect natural color. I also use a Nikon F4S which I

think is probably Nikon's best autofocus camera yet(boy will this make them talk) use this camera as a film

back-up. I have never cared for the F5. I use a Nikon D2H also and A D70S as a back-up. Both are excell-

ent cameras. I shoot with a Hasselblad 501-CM also(Hasselblad primes) and a Linhof 4X5. I rarely use a

zoom lens and prefer primes. I take the camera to the subject unless its absolutely impossible to do. I do

like the operating method(buttons,method of making settings) of Nikon digital cameras Vs. the Canon cam-

eras. Obviously with the digital format you do not have to wait for the film to be processed and for the prints

or slides to come back. Having said that let me say- "I LOVE FILM AND WILL ALWAYS LOVE IT". My clients

have forced me to shoot digital to stay in the game. Best regards for your search for a digital camera pack-

age. As an old pro I would give this advice- do not buy more camera than you need. Happy shooting!!!

Greg Gross

I second what Craig says about good glass. First and foremost, however, remember that the equipment is not what defines the photographer, the photograph does (among other things in life).

From what I have heard you can't go wrong either way-Canon v. Nikon-most people continue along the line of what they've been using instead of having to invest in new glass/equipment.

You're decision might also partly depend on what your intended usage of the camera is. Just remember that the Canon 350 nor the D70s do a true uncompressed RAW, for that you need to fork over $1700 for the D200 or $2900 for the 5D. From what I've read this is something of a moot point since the info that they are throwing away is not needed (i.e. highlight info). This has never really made sense to me (other than the storage issue), but whatever. Once you know what you are doing with the camera this is all water under the bridge anyway.

BTW: I have no complaints with my D70s, other than the fact that I don't have all the glass I want.

Try these sites out there's probably a dozen Rebel v. D70 threads on each one:

http://www.photo.net/

http://www.nikonians.org/

Good luck.

I have used Minolta film cameras all my life, not because they are any better than Nikon or Canon but just happened to buy my first Minolta, then some accessories, and pretty soon was locked into that brand.

I mostly shoot portraits and people, unannounced in their natural state. About an year ago I bought a D70. I liked the feel of Zoom and Focussing rings, the size and weight of the camera in my hands. Canon 20D was beyond my budget at that time. D70 Lens barrel does not rotate for focus or zoom. I thought it is important for graduated and ploarizing filters. I do not know about Canon. My largest enlargemetns were 8X10's but cropped may be by 1.5X. Quality seemed excellent. However, my D70 developed a problem within the warranty period. My friend who had a D70, on whose suggestion I bought mine, developed a different kind of problem around the end of warranty period. He replaced it with Canon 20D and seems to be very content. I have seen pictures out of this camera. Color saturation seemed to be little better than that of D70. Putting D70's 6 mega pixel vs. 20D's 8 megapixel in perspective, resolution of picture depends on the size and distance from which it is intended to be viewed, close up, hung on a wall etc. Surely, higher mega pixels cannot hurt.

Of greater importance is reliability, it seems to me. Hardly two cameras that went bad is a good statistical sample but it appears either the complexity is so great or quality is so poor with digital cameras, no matter which brand one selects it is advisable to buy extended warranties because of the high repair / replacement cost of these cameras.

I recently bought a Canon digital camera (350D), I went with Canon over Nikon for two reasons. First, Canon is more interested in pushing for digital cameras with sensors the same size as a 35mm film frame, while Nikon doesn't seem interested in pursuing this right now. Granted, the camera I just bought has a smaller than 35mm chip, but I'm trying to look down the road a few years here. Second, Canon has a larger selection of lenses than Nikon, including a number of lenses that are faster than what Nikon offers. I probably can't afford most of them, but I love shooting available light at night so that's the logic of it. And once you start committing money to one system or the other, you're probably better off sticking with it so that you can continue using your lenses. I'm personally more interested in the lenses than the camera, especially with a film camera. Anyhow, that's what I did, there's probably not a wrong choice here though.

If I'm not mistaken I think Nikon is a bit more backwards compatible with their lenses (i.e. older versions) - I know for a fact Nikon is, not sure about Canon. That being said however the functionality of the newer AF Nikkors vs manual focus lenses, on the D70 at least, is like night and day. But perhaps you might like the looks a certain older lens/series gives you.

• Premium Member
thats a great photo....nikkor lenses are among the best and there is no shortage....tim burtons corpse bride was shot entirely with nikkor glass. (i dont work for nikon) just love em :P

Hi,

Nikon Glass on a Canon body!

Stephen

In a gallaxy,

not so far away....

CAMERA WARS

(music rolling, SW theme, yellow text scrolling bottom up in perspective)

The two leading photographic camera and lenses manufacturers, Canon and Nikon,

caused a harsh dividing among the photographic community.

Civil war rages for decades, with victory and losses on both sides...

A young Jedi by the name of Useall Wha'soots'U, its on a mission to

restore peace in the Gallaxy....

Sorry, couln't help my self.

Creative attack. :)

I like both cams.

The D70s has a very nice pro feel. It is big, fits nicely in you hand.

Fast selection of parametars like ISO, WB, Quality, etc via pushing and holding a button and

rotating the main or sub dial. Thumbs up.

Lowest ISO is 200.

I am supprised to see some "not so nice" noise at that setting in the shadow areas.

I thought the cam was cleaner than that.

The Rebel 350D is small. Real small. the first time i got hold of it

it realy anoyed me the handgrip, not having handfull of it, fingers hitting/pushing the front of the cam.

It is fast, "Bites like a snakee" as a friend of mine put it. :)

(Snakee - I am trying to make a diminutive of Snake...?!?)

Some of the vital parametars via the 4 cursors buttons:

instantly you are in the menu for the parameter, scroll around and confirm with "Set" button.

Other parameters in the menu.

However, i like the Canon smoothness. At ISO 100.

I love that little cam too. :)

I give + on D70s for UI,

and + for 350D for image smoothness and camera appearence/feel sweetness factor.

Among these two cams, the decission factor for my friend wich one to keep for him self,

was based on his Canon lens collection.

You may alredy know it,

but i'll mention a great In Depth review site for D-Cams:

dpreview.com

Best

Igor Trajkovski