High contrast Tungsten

No such thing

Though, some will probably tell you right away that no color negative can have as much contrast as reversal, I'd just like to point out that there were negative films in history that had less latitude and more contrast than some E6 films (within its D range of course).

No such thing

Though, some will probably tell you right away that no color negative can have as much contrast as reversal, I'd just like to point out that there were negative films in history that had less latitude and more contrast than some E6 films (within its D range of course).

How far in history are you going back in time ? john holland .

How far in history are you going back in time ? john holland .

Just a few years.

Ektar 25 vs. EPN or Astia 100F

That's what made Ektar 25 a great landscape film, while Astia 100F is a great fashion/portrait film, and a poor landscape film due to its lower contrast.

Edited by Filip Plesha

• Premium Member

FWIW, Kodak offers two modern color negative films for professional still photographers needing "ultracolor":

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professiona...2.14.5.16&lc=en

COLOR THAT LEAPS OFF THE PAGE.

ULTRA COLOR Films.

Introducing KODAK PROFESSIONAL ULTRA COLOR Film, with color saturation unsurpassed by other professional-grade color print films. So no matter what you shoot, you'll get deep, rich colors you can practically feel.

? Vivid colors that go beyond your imagination

? Unsurpassed sharpness for amazing clarity

? Extremely fine grain?ideal for enlargements

? Natural, pleasing skin tones

? Wide exposure range for ultimate flexibility

Ultra Color is a family of films for serious photographers who expect spectacular color.

mainLeft.jpg

• Premium Member
What's the difference between Kodak's professional and consumer film products?

The market they are aimed at is different

The pro film is shipped at it speak performance and has to be kept refigerated, the consumer film is released before it's peak and will be Ok on average over it sexpected storage life. The MP stocks are probaly closer to the PRO still stocks in this regard.

The Normal Pro negaive was alway a 160 ASA film optimised for Portraits. They have offered others including a nice set of News films that went up to 1600 ASA. they also used to claim that the speed was accurate ot 1/3 of a stop..

The Still Pro films are all for C-41 process of course. Read th e

data sheets for the exact target market for the vairous products.

100UC could be compared to Gold 100, due to golds dynamics, but the 100UC wins in what it is designed for: rich colors, sharp images, fine grain. I find that Gold 100 is a bit grainy, though not much grainier than Portra 160VC.

400UC is still considered by a mass of photographers to be Kodaks best C41 film

I really haven't tried the new HD consumer film, or those high-speed max films, because I simply have no need

The general difference is storage. Pro films ment to be processed right away, while consumer films can be kept undeveloped for months, or longer.

Another difference is consistancy. A consumer film will have variations between batches and rolls in terms of color.

On the E6 field things are quite different.

For one thing, you can say that there is NO consumer E6 market anymore. Kodak makes a few "consumer" E6 films, but even they now label it as processional, even though they aren't quite that either.

They are Elite chrome films, which are clones of Ektachrome films E100G, E100VS etc..

Again, you can expect more predictability and reliability from Ektachrome films. But this is a field where you could shoot a roll of E100G and EB-3 and not notice much difference.

Though Kodak does not make any consumer equvalents of E6 films that would be suitable for fashion or portraiture, like EPN. EPN looks flat and washed out compared to any consumer E6 film, but that's the whole idea anyway.

What would be a good Tungsten stock that has nice contrast and saturated colors like Velvia?

16mm kodachrome 40, or in the super 8 format, only hope now is double super 8 k40 (still available).

• Premium Member
FWIW, Kodak offers two modern color negative films for professional still photographers needing "ultracolor"

I love this Ultra Color stock. I use it constantly on my 35mm Nikon. I'm sure there's a reason why it wouldn't work, but it would be fun to see in a Super 8 or 16mm stock. Could someone like Pro8mm or Spectra cut some down for motion picture use?

But then I guess noone could process it right?