Film stock list

Thomas Fant

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if this has already been covered, but does anyone know if there is a website that provides a comprehensive list of film stocks that have been used for various films ? Is this sort of information available with IMDBPro ? That seems mostly to cover budget, profit, etc. There are a number of films that I am interested in finding technical details about, many of which do not appear in American Cinematographer. If there are any resources out there providing this sort of info (besides American Cinematographer) please let me know

Thanks

that would be interesting indeed.

i know fuji has a list of feature films on their homepage that have been shot with...fuji stock :)

Thanks, that is a good start for me at least, as a lot of the films I am interested in are Japanese, and a lot more seems to be shot on fuji there (makes sense, eh?)

Thomas Fant

• Premium Member

There is no comprehensive database -- who would take the time to compile and research the data? You'd have to contact either each production individually or hope the sales rep who sold them the stock would open up the books to you.

In terms of specific stocks used for each production, it's mainly a question of whether an article was ever published about that movie, or in a book somewhere. Otherwise, it's a best-guess scenario based on the DP's other works (for example, based on articles, a number of Chris Menge's recent works have been shot on Fuji F-500 and now Fuji 500T Eterna, so odds are high that his next film might use it too. And when in doubt, the majority of 35mm productions are using Kodak 500T 5218, probably their best selling motion picture stock.)

Guest Sasuke
Hi, I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if this has already been covered, but does anyone know if there is a website that provides a comprehensive list of film stocks that have been used for various films ? Is this sort of information available with IMDBPro ? That seems mostly to cover budget, profit, etc. There are a number of films that I am interested in finding technical details about, many of which do not appear in American Cinematographer. If there are any resources out there providing this sort of info (besides American Cinematographer) please let me know

Thanks

This will help you to keep track of many film stocks made over time :

http://www.cinetech.com/html/stocktimeline.html :)