music video lighting

Hi friends,

I will be the DP for a playback music video shooting lst week of June. It will be a few tradional dances enacted for the 1960s when fisherman kerosene lamps were used. The dances are planned to be staged on a built stage of 1960 illuminated by a few fisherman lamps. Please advise ways to light up this envirolnment. I have prepared 2 x 2.5 HMI (if needed), 4 x 2k, 6 x 1k, 6 x 800 w red heads and 2 x 350 dedos; a generator; blue and orange gels; C and crocodile stands; a Panasonic Pro50 camera. The whole shooting will be at night.

Hi friends,

I will be the DP for a playback music video shooting lst week of June. It will be a few tradional dances enacted for the 1960s when fisherman kerosene lamps were used. The dances are planned to be staged on a built stage of 1960 illuminated by a few fisherman lamps. Please advise ways to light up this envirolnment. I have prepared 2 x 2.5 HMI (if needed), 4 x 2k, 6 x 1k, 6 x 800 w red heads and 2 x 350 dedos; a generator; blue and orange gels; C and crocodile stands; a Panasonic Pro50 camera. The whole shooting will be at night.

Hi friends,

am quite disappointed as no one tries to help me of the above matter till today. It is quite urgent. please help. Thanks

• Premium Member

Your description of the shoot was a little too broad. We don't know what you want it to look like, how large the set is, what the shots are, how much time for setup you have, and so on. So it's difficult to say how the units you've specified might best apply to your shoot.

If you can ask more specific questions, we can provide better answers.

Your description of the shoot was a little too broad. We don't know what you want it to look like, how large the set is, what the shots are, how much time for setup you have, and so on. So it's difficult to say how the units you've specified might best apply to your shoot.

If you can ask more specific questions, we can provide better answers.

It will be a play back shooting of a few dances with songs performing on an open stage sized 30 feet wide and 20 feet deep. There wont be a backdrop but a see-thorugh like to see other activities behind the stage. In other words, the background must be lit too. The camera would be mounted on a few straight track and a few curved tracks. Sound complicated. I need advice how to begin lighting up. Should I also keep the colour warm? Do I need to also give the effect of blue tint suggesting moon atmostsphere ? Hope this will help. thanks

Here is the problem William. You are asking artistic questions, this forum is better suited for technical issues. When you ask a Group of D.P.s "how should i light this" it is the equivelant of asking other painters "how should I paint this". These are questions you as the Director of Photography have to answer, it depends on how you want the video to look.

Good Luck.

Since you are looking for help in aesthetic, I advice you to research and watch music videos that fall in the same genre. I hope this is not late, but nothing helps more, speaking from my own experience of course.

Hi friends,

am quite disappointed as no one tries to help me of the above matter till today. It is quite urgent. please help. Thanks

I don't wish to be harsh, but if you really don't know how to light this, perhaps you shouldn't be shooting this promo.