Super8 short please critique

Hey all,

This is a link to a super8 reversal film I shot a little while back. It was all daylight stock 50 E.I. even indoors to reduce grain. The circut breakers weren't too happy! It's a DIY transfer though I'm thinking of getting it telecined this summer? is it worth it anyone?

The site washed out some of the contrast. Note: when the man enters the room at the end the shadow IS intentional. Anyway let me know what you guys think of it. I've since shot 16 and will post some of that after a telecine. Looking for any helpful criticism. Camera, lighting composition etc. ;)

http://medialab.ifc.com/film_detail.jsp?film_id=1074&list=1

Thanks,

Owen

Thanks for the comments rob.

Guys and Girls,

I know this is only lowly super8 but any critique would help. I mean the views to reply ratio is greater than Vincent Price's floating head!

Owen.

Guest LondonFilmMan

sinister and good! I thought it was a successful short. Quite well performed. His face was a bit young and innocent looking for this part - but hey, but I get the idea. Well done. Well cut together.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ronney Ross

You've got my vote. I really enjoyed and the story is very well told I think. (silent or not.) I must admit seeing the girl in the park I thought the guy was about to have a second victim until the closeup of her in the tub.

-Ronney Ross

• Premium Member

Good job. I think Super 8 was the natural choice for this atmospheric piece. Reminded me of "Age 13" by Arthur Swerdloff.

What camera did you use and what can you tell us about the soundtrack?

Good job. I think Super 8 was the natural choice for this atmospheric piece. Reminded me of "Age 13" by Arthur Swerdloff.

What camera did you use and what can you tell us about the soundtrack?

Thanks Bill,

I checked out that "Age 13" Really interesting for the time period....I used a Nizo s56 for indoors Nizo 148(I believe is the model number) for exteriors. And a cannon for the macro shots.

As far as the soundtrack goes, Jordan Stone, a good friend of mine with whom I've worked with in the past did the music. I just talked with him over the phone after he had saw some shots and explained my take on the mood of the music/themes of the story etc. etc. And he sent back something way better than I hoped for! I pretty much dropped it in the time line and it matched all the cuts! :D Very talented guy, everything he does really has an interesting quality/sound. I can't help with any technical q's about the soundtrack but if you had any I'm sure I could find out.