Celco CRT Vs. Arrilaser

• Premium Member
Acoarding to their tests, it is better than laser, but they didn't say which laser recorder they were comparing it to. Perhaps the worst one they could find.

Or maybe it really was arrilaser, who knows.

As far as I know, the Arrilaser is the only laser-recorder that exists.

After 35 years in the business, I have learned to look at the screen rather than at the nameplate of the machine before drawing any conclusions.

It happens all the time: 'I want XYZ print stock', we show them 'A', 'B' and 'C', you pick the best..

In the film recorder business, the man behind the machine may make the difference, just like the man behind the camera, or behind the editing or compositing or grading system.

After 35 years in the business, I have learned to look at the screen rather than at the nameplate of the machine before drawing any conclusions.

It happens all the time: 'I want XYZ print stock', we show them 'A', 'B' and 'C', you pick the best..

In the film recorder business, the man behind the machine may make the difference, just like the man behind the camera, or behind the editing or compositing or grading system.

At last some sense , you are all in awe of the latest technology and creativity is going down the toilet , very sad . john holland london.

• Premium Member
At last some sense , you are all in awe of the latest technology and creativity is going down the toilet , very sad . john holland london.

I resent that. There's no connection between being informed on latest technology and being creative. That suggests that the person least interested in technology is therefore by default the most creative!

I would cite as an example Gregg Toland, generally considered on of the top ten greatest cinematographers of all time, and certainly working on the cutting edge of technology in his day.

Edited by David Mullen

Fulgenio,

I always invite customers to do a test shoot. There is currently a major animation feature being finished. They gave me 4 minutes of material to shoot, when they saw it projected they admitted that another test had been done on an Arrilaser at a big-name house in Paris. The other test was screened and it was visibly inferior: less gradation in the shadows, suble face details missing etc.

All this proves is that an Arrilaser doesn't give you automatically a better product, a pixel is stil a pixel and a byte still a byte.

If someone would be foolish enough to give me a Stardivarius viiolin, I could still only scare cats.

I hate it when someone calls and asks if I have such or such machine. How often do you ask the cook of a restaurant what kind of knives/pots/spoons he uses?

For David: technology is there to help creativity but you know this already.

I resent that. There's no connection between being informed on latest technology and being creative. That suggests that the person least interested in technology is therefore by default the most creative!

I would cite as an example Gregg Toland, generally considered on of the top ten greatest cinematographers of all time, and certainly working on the cutting edge of technology in his day.

David it wasnt a personal attack on you ! I have to keep up with the latest technology like everyone else, i dont want it to take over the creative process , you can make beautiful images with the most basic equipment that is what iwas trying to get across . john holland.

• Premium Member
David it wasnt a personal attack on you !

Well, when someone tells a group of people:

"you are all in awe of the latest technology and creativity is going down the toilet , very sad"

...it sounds like an attack. I mean, how can you tell anything about the creativity of anyone here based on our technical chit-chat?

Sure, some people over-value technology and some people are only good dealing with technical things, but you really can't judge someone's creativity based on their interest in technology.

I agree that in the big picture, the key elements that create great images often involve very simple technology (a light, a lens, etc.) but a lot of creative vision.

The goal for many DP's is to master technical aspects so they can stop thinking technically when they are shooting, just like a great musician has to master their craft technically so they can express themselves artistically with more clarity, efficiency, and power. But of course, a knowledge of technology does not infer a knowledge of art -- but then, it doesn't exclude the possibility either.

Edited by David Mullen