flashbacks on Da Vinci

Recently watched Da Vinci Code - really liked the flashback portions - blown out whites - grainy - monotone images - was wondering if anyone knew if they achieved that through cross processing and then a DI. Just a DI - or ENR and bleach bypass.

• Premium Member

ASC magazine has an online article about The Da Vinci Code in the June 2006 issue:

Secret History, Salvatore Totino cracks The Da Vinci Code

All flashback material was shot clean and then given a distinct look during the DI process, which was carried out at EFilm in Hollywood. Working with Howard and colorist Steve Bowen, Totino gave those sequences ?a bit of a forced-saturated, grainy look. It?s almost semi-bleached,? says the cinematographer. EFilm also recorded the color-corrected files to 35mm ? ?20 negatives,? he adds.

• Premium Member
The flashbacks where all shot in HD. That's the typical quality of HD :)

R,

Where did you read that? The AC article says they were shot on film. I know they tested the Genesis for the movie but didn't use it.

I didn't read it any where, that's what the smiley face was for.

I was making fun of HD.

i.e. HD has - "blown out whites - grainy"

R,

• Premium Member
I didn't read it any where, that's what the smiley face was for.

I was making fun of HD.

i.e. HD has - "blown out whites - grainy"

R,

They were so heavily processed, they practically could have been shot on HD, or even the DVX100...

Plus, as far as a story-telling device, they were really needed. I had no idea how they got from the plane to the car - I really needed the flashback to tell me that they used their feet to get there!

• Premium Member
They were so heavily processed, they practically could have been shot on HD, or even the DVX100...

Think of the money they could have saved! Maybe that explains why Hanks' hair was so cheap looking! Personally, I am getting weary of the flashback visuals in films being given the "dragged through a hedge backwards" look. Still, audiences seem to pick up on it well so who am I to talk. . . .