1080i footage from super-16?

NathanCoombs

No. But I am sure it looks great. You can look at some HD trailers to see examples of 35mm transfered to HD. They look incredible. You might be able to find a film shot in 16mm that has an HD trailer.

Just curious, Are you finishing on HD or is film going to be your final output? If you are finishing on film why spend the money on an HD telecine?

• Premium Member
Personally, I'd get the footage transferred to 1080i at a place using a Spirit or Millenium TK, not the Cineglyph used at Bono.

I was wondering why the footage I got back from Bonolabs looked a little lifeless, even though the resolution was pretty amazing to work with. Of course, it couldn't have anything to do with crappy cinematography on my part... :rolleyes:

Actually, I think just having a good colorist do a scene by scene transfer would work wonders whereas Bonolabs goes for a "neutral" transfer to allow the client to do the color correction... fine if you have that talent, no so good if not.

Sorry, I didn't shoot it !

If I tried to shoot a film on skis, you see a lot of upside down white mist swirling around :D . (It would be nicely exposed shot on S16 upside down white mist in 1080i however)

(and the DVD would include a bonus feature on my sprained ankles)

16SR3 HS ?

-Sam

My super-16 workflow will finish to HD because 1) It saves money 2) Many festivals are now equipped for HD screenings so a print seems less neccessary

The clip posted is good, but 720p is approximately 4 x less image area than 1080i, so it would be inetresting if anyone has full-res 1080i on the net somewhere?

I think there's a 1080p option to download, no ?

I'm quite sure they exhibit that film that way with a DLP.

But an H264 compression for the net at any resolution isn't going to show you what you want to see.

NoI don't think there are too many examples of uncompressed 1080i you can download !

-Sam

I think there's a 1080p option to download, no ?

But an H264 compression for the net at any resolution isn't going to show you what you want to see.

NoI don't think there are too many examples of uncompressed 1080i you can download !

-Sam

No, there's no 1080p option. H264 will still reveal the fine detail or softness of s16 at that resolution - as long as the compression is not too heavy. I am not looking for uncompressed 1080i samples.

The buttons on the Apple site say 480p 720p 1080p

Is the 1080 really 1080i ? I don't know, strangely enough I don't have time to dl a 200 Mb file on my laptop with dial up where I am now :D

There must be more shot on S16 films you can look at HD QT's of.. "March Of The Penguins" was S16... I don't know if it's on there....

-Sam

The buttons on the Apple site say 480p 720p 1080p

Is the 1080 really 1080i ? I don't know, strangely enough I don't have time to dl a 200 Mb file on my laptop with dial up where I am now :D

There must be more shot on S16 films you can look at HD QT's of.. "March Of The Penguins" was S16... I don't know if it's on there....

-Sam

Bizarre when I checked the link at work there was no 1080p link. Now I have checked at home it is there. A PC/Mac difference? Cheers!

I liked the look of the super-16 at 1080p - I think it held up well. Its obviously softer and grainer than HD 1080i, but I prefer the look of the s16 and when projected I think the difference in latitude and colour depth will be more noticeable than relative sharpness.