CineGear

• Premium Member

I'm going to try to squeeze in a visit on Friday. I just had a shoot pop up for Saturday and Sunday, so I may have to pick up some gear sometime Friday.

Somebody please, please, videotape the ASC discussion of "favorite clips" Saturday afternoon!

• Premium Member
I'll be there Friday. I think Elhanan is going on Friday as well, should be there all day. Maybe meet up by the ASC?

OK, ASC booth at Noon, assuming there is somewhere to eat at the event (otherwise you're walking a couple of blocks east or west down Wilshire...)

• Premium Member

I'm not sure whether I'm working or not on Friday yet, but I'll meet you guys if I'm not. I'm bummed because I'm definately working Sat. and Sun., and I'm already missing the steadicam get together, and I may miss Cinegear all together.

The saying still holds true, "if you're not working, just make plans". It never fails.

• Premium Member

Sorry I missed the get-together today, but I plan on attending the Expo tomorrow.

Is there anything that's a "must see" this year, and anything worth skipping? I don't know how long I can stay...

• Premium Member

Umm, maybe the pixies/ fairies at the Dalsa/ Technicolor sized camera center ;) . Panavision had a projection trailer showing footage from the Genesis, footage from Superman, Click, Scary Movie 4, and Flyboys. Then TV shows and music video/ commercial work done with it. All of it was projected on a 2k projector, off of presumably HDCam (maybe SR).

This year seemed a little more compact, it was pretty good, nice seeing some of you today.

Kevin Zanit

Umm, maybe the pixies/ fairies at the Dalsa/ Technicolor sized camera center ;) . Panavision had a projection trailer showing footage from the Genesis, footage from Superman, Click, Scary Movie 4, and Flyboys. Then TV shows and music video/ commercial work done with it. All of it was projected on a 2k projector, off of presumably HDCam (maybe SR).

This year seemed a little more compact, it was pretty good, nice seeing some of you today.

Kevin Zanit

Glad you liked our pixies. Sorry you don't like our camera. Anyone who wants to stop by our booth ask for me, identify yourself as a forum member and I'll get you one of our special cool gifties. No matter what you think of the size of our rig.

Alan Lasky

DALSA Digital Cinema

The "Technicolor" sized camera people.

Send me $1000 and I'll send you a plaque and a receipt for our new 100K resolution camera the size of a ckoe can running at 60fps to an I-pod.

Or come to our booth and check out 4K workflow that you can use today.

• Premium Member
Glad you liked our pixies. Sorry you don't like our camera. Anyone who wants to stop by our booth ask for me, identify yourself as a forum member and I'll get you one of our special cool gifties. No matter what you think of the size of our rig.

Alan Lasky

DALSA Digital Cinema

The "Technicolor" sized camera people.

Send me $1000 and I'll send you a plaque and a receipt for our new 100K resolution camera the size of a ckoe can running at 60fps to an I-pod.

Or come to our booth and check out 4K workflow that you can use today.

Tell you what, I'll come by your booth with my ipod and share some videos. And hear what you have to say. As for the Pixies, I'm bringing my digital still camera ;)

• Premium Member
Tell you what, I'll come by your booth with my ipod and share some videos. And hear what you have to say. As for the Pixies, I'm bringing my digital still camera ;)

If you're married, be careful. My wife is still pissed about the still of me with my arm wrapped around a gorgeous Vegas showgirl taken on the floor at the NAB a couple of years ago. (The giant grin on my face didn't help) :(

Glad you liked our pixies........

Alan Lasky

DALSA Digital Cinema

Actually I thought the Dalsa booth was the most interesting thing at the show. I liked that they were really showing what their equipment did from every perspective. I didn't bother getting all the punch card things because I'm not much for swag, but they had some nice swag for sure.

But what I liked most was the fact that everything was being shows and that it looked really nice. Yes, the camera is huge. But... I'm sure it will get smaller.

I'm not sure the AE demonstration was really serving the purpose one might want it to have and the composite wasn't tweaked well for it... but... some of the other samples really showed off the technology well.

I thought the genesis footage looked okay - it was being shown on a film projector in my screening though and I'm told it could look better. I also did not find their trailer where they were showing the same footage - probably got lost in the 4 hole golf park and never saw the trailer where the actual footage was showing.

RED (the trinket people to whom, by the way for disclosure purposes I have sent 1k) really had nothing to announce or show because they pretty much announced everything at the get go. I guess we wait until september to see stuff and April to use it (or get a refund).

I was hoping to see SI there, but they weren't there.

And sorry to miss any gathering, but I haven't been reading these forums as I've been on a project.

Thanks for the kind words about our booth.

Unfortunately we had to sub an After Effects demo in at the last minute because Digital Domain had to bail on their Nuke demo due to some business affairs stuff related to their recent management change. Not that I have anything against After Effects, I quite like it. We just did not have time to get a proper demo packaged before the show.

I think we can post some 4K pixie pix if you want.

Alan Lasky

DALSA Digital Cinema