Jean-Luc Godard

Ckulakov

I watched "breathless" and was very suprised. I found it inovative and daring.

What are some other significant films done by Godard?

Please reccomend.

ALSO, i am taking a trip to the movie store (BLOCKBUSTER) tonight so some recommendations from the foreign film section would be great. OR, any other great films I just have to rent.

My favorites are all the early black and white films shot by Raoul Coutard, especially with the lovely Anna Karina. In order of my personal favorites, all available on DVD:

1) "Vivre Sa Vie" (aka "My Life To Live")

2) "Alphaville"

3) "Breathless"

4) "Band of Outsiders"

his film from 2001, "in praise of love" features, by far, the best application of digital video in a "film" that i'm aware of (it's about 2/3 bw 35mm, 1/3 color dv). not as accessible/entertaining as breathless or band of outsiders, but full of very godardian sequences.

don't forget Le Mepris, with Brigitte Bardot, Michel Piccoli and Fritz Lang playing himself. It's a nice mix of straightforward narrative and reflexive cinema. The opening shot is particularly interesting, with the actors moving towards the camera while they are being filmed from the side with a camera that's on the same track as the camera which represents our viewpoint. Slowly the camera in front of us becomes the main object, instead of the actors, and in the end the camera pans to the left and 'looks' straight at us, signifying the intimate bond between camera and spectator.

Guest Tim Partridge

I don't rate Band a Part at all.

I'd love to see Godard's Cannon films adaption of KING LEAR! :lol:

À bout de souffle and Pierrot le fou are pretty good, if obvious choices for getting the best taster of his work.

• 3 weeks later...
Le Mepris

Bande a part

Une femme est une femme

Alphaville

Watching anything by him is cool, not a waste of time. I've only seen about 10 films of his, however. My favorites are Le Mepris and Bande a part.

---"Le Mepris' leaves me cold. Part of it is that Delerue score.

But surprised that no one has mentioned 'Weekend'.

'Alphaville' is my next favorite. But the talk about the importance of love at the end comes across as a cold emotionless recital of a doctrine he thinks he should believe in but really doesn't. Maybe that's part of the humor.

---LV