some student work

okay, so this is some of my footage from the film course i did at university. I was 18 at the time and never shot a thing at that stage and there is no real use of lighting setups, just available light. Shot on the small panasonic DS11 and sony PD150 mini DV formats. There are a couple of ungraded, DIY-telecini, reversal 16mm and super 8 shots which i used to get slow motion. The compression is terrible and makes a few of the shots jumpy for some reason so bear with it.

Anyway, enough talking it down, enjoy and give me honest brutal feedback...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP_Zxhb6w9o

• Premium Member

I really liked a lot of your timelapse footage. Also, the shots of the guy jumping off the bridge were excellent....how many takes did you get?

Besides that, much of it looked unlit and rather "studenty", which is what it is and rather unavoidable at that stage. I think you showed much promise compositionally and emotionally.

On a personal note, I hate snap-zooms....not that you have to hate them, but I do. ;-)

Cheers!

Guest LondonFilmMan

This was rich on feeling with timelapse that was exciting...I felt that you meant what you were saying! I especially liked the lightning with a reflection on his face. Nice!!

Edited by LondonFilmMan

thanx the bridge shots were a nightmare. Over 18 takes using about 8 rolls of 16mm and all but the shots u see were ruined due to a problem with the beaulieu camera i was using. The film would jump around in the gate for whatever reason so I had to end up using super 8. It was winter, i had to end up paying my mate to keep jumping.

btw the timelapse was done just by recording in realtime and speeding up in post which i did coz the cameras didnt have a timelapse function. I went through two rolls of mini dv tape before i got that lightning.

I shudder when i see how much the shots could have been improved with better thought to lighting, but that was then. btw im a sucker for snap zooms

Guest LondonFilmMan

how did you get those lovely lightning shots with reflection on his face....? was very nice indeed....any tips?

Nice, very beautiful in places especially the intro just before the storm. It really gave a sense of something important about to happen.

However, I have no idea what it was about. Right up until halfway I liked it and then it just became a little samey for my liking because there was no progression in terms of 'story'...if you know what I mean. So after a while it just feels like a music video wiyth no meaning. This is fine if that's what you want, if not then maybe you have to think more closely about conception.

Have you ever watched Koyaanisqatsi? Though it is quite long and not necessarily narratively based as it is more 'arthouse observational documentary' there is a definite evolution in terms meaning and premise through evolution of editing and shot usage. Take a look, I think you might like it if you've never seen it before, it is the first film in a trilogy.

After having said that I quite enjoyed your film!

Koyaanisqatsi was in fact a big inspiration for my work back then. The work i showed was from a couple of different short video poems i made in class so its not a story in itself, but of course better editing could make more sense out of it.

The shot of the face is done with just flicking a gelled gulliver on and off. The shot of lightning is superimposed over the shot of the face in premier and i just faded the lightning in and out.