• Premium Member
On a related topic, is there such a thing as an MOS camera (35mm or 16mm) separate from a regular camera, or is basically every camera MOS?

Hi,

Mit Out Sound! A MOS camera is not quiet & can not be used for sync sound unless placed in a Blimp.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Yes, even though any camera can have a crystal-sync motor, an MOS camera does not run quietly enough for sound recording.

An Arri-435, Arri-III, Arri-2C, Arri-235 are considered MOS cameras but the Arri-BL's, Arri-535's, Arricam LT and ST, etc. are considered sound cameras, even though some sound cameras get a little noisy and some MOS cameras are almost quiet enough for sound shooting (especially with a blimp.)

"Mit Out Sound" Stephen?

I have heard that legend but I think MOS stands for Minus Optical Stripe :)

R,

Okay, let's try this again.

I am shooting a silent film so it doesn't matter if the camera makes noise; is there a difference between an MOS camera and a regular camera? Is there an advantage, such as price or number of technicians needed....

Edited by williameverett

• Premium Member

The features tend to be camera specific in terms of weight, ease of handholding, how bright the viewfinder is. An old MOS camera like an Arri-2C tends to be cheaper, but it is also more awkward to operate, having a fixed position viewfinder. And the mag sit on top, making handholding awkward.

The Arri-435 is MOS and pretty expensive, does everything but make breakfast for you, but it's not a good handheld camera compared to the new Arri-235.

You have to just look at the individual features, like does it have a crystal sync motor? At what speeds is it crystal? Is the viewfinder bright enough? etc.