70mm Series @ Castro Theatre

The Castro Theatre in San Franscico is going to start up their 70mm series on August 11th. They do this every year. The films are:

8/11 - 2001: A Space Odyssey

8/12 - Cleopatra

8/13-8/14 - Lawrence of Arabia

8/15 - The Razor's Edge

8/16-8/17 - Baraka

8/18 - The Doors

8/19 - South Pacific

8/19 (Midnight) - Tron

8/20 - Hamlet (1996)

8/22 - Playtime (Jacques Tati)

8/23 - It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

8/24 - Titanic

• 3 weeks later...
The Castro Theatre in San Franscico is going to start up their 70mm series on August 11th. They do this every year. The films are:

8/11 - 2001: A Space Odyssey

8/12 - Cleopatra

8/13-8/14 - Lawrence of Arabia

8/15 - The Razor's Edge

8/16-8/17 - Baraka

8/18 - The Doors

8/19 - South Pacific

8/19 (Midnight) - Tron

8/20 - Hamlet (1996)

8/22 - Playtime (Jacques Tati)

8/23 - It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

8/24 - Titanic

Sweet! Thanks for the info, I am definitely checking some of these out.

Re: "Titanic", as I recall, the James Cameron version was shot in 35 anamorphic. Is this a different production or just a blow up? If its just a blow up, then I hardly think it qualifies for that list.

Titanic was shot Super 35 , and yes is a blow up and shouldnt be included . john.

---'The Razor's Edge' and 'The Doors' are also blow ups, though from anamorphic.

So should they be excluded too?

'Tron' could be problematical. The animation stand and CG footage are Vistavision, which is most of the movie.

Since non-Russian 70mm movies are shot on 65mm, isn't 70mm actually the print format?

---LV

Yes is suppose if you go with my feelings they should also be excluded, dont know 'The Razors Edge' any in fo ? john.

---Serious Bill Murray movie of W.Somerset Maugham novel.

Filmed in JDC-Scope (Shiga).

________________________________________________________________________________

______

Trivia for

The Razor's Edge (1984)

Bill Murray made a deal with Columbia Pictures that he would appear in Ghost Busters (1984) only if they financed his movie.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0087980/combined#comment

________________________________________________________________________________

______

Incidentally, Maugham was a British spy during WWI. Another british writer I was reading claims that one cannot quit the British spy service, so Maugham had to have been a spy all his life. His weakest novels were actually covers for his secret agent job in exotic locales.

---LV

• Premium Member

A 35mm negative optically processed goes through multiple generations before it gets to the multiplex, with a well known loss of quality along the way. If the blowup to 70mm happened with the first IN with further duping in 70mm, then 70mm projection of 35mm camera original should be a superior print. If on the other hand all the IN's, IP's, whatever are done in 35mm then a striking a 70mm print would be a waste of time and money. Same would apply for Vistavision, if you went directly to 70mm from the Vistavision original, then that also should generate a superior print. My belief why 35mm anamorphic is superior is because it uses all the Academy aperture rather than 1.85 flat which is letterboxed from Academy. Basic principle? More film real estate is always a better idea, anamorphic, 65mm, Vistavision, whatever.