35mm in photo

I want to shoot photos with some film stock, I dit it already and used to make my own photo cartridges, which is a lot of painful work to do, and as the smallest quantity of film you can buy is 30m, you always have some film left.

I've read in some post taht RGB lab in hollywood sells photo carters with 35mm stock.

Have you tried these ? Do you know if there is a similar product somewhere in europe ?

F.

Hi Dirk,

I know you! I worked at the grading of a short I directed in De Jonghe back in 99.

How much do you sell these cartridges ? Can you provide other stocks too ?

Thanks Rob for your reply, I'd like to contact them but I can't find an e-mail of these guys and a phone call could be tricky as I am in europe. Do you have their mail ?

Thanks guys.

F.

• Premium Member

I've heard rumors that RGB was discontinuing their business of making slides or prints from MP color neg (I think they were sending the ECN2 processing work of the negative to a MP film lab anyway). Seattle Film Works, I believe, is another company that does the work.

Don't forget the usual warning - do NOT take cassettes loaded with motion picture stock in to a regular stills lab. Their processing does not include a remjet backing removal stage, and both your film and their machine (not to mention other customers' film) will end up covered in spots of carbon which can't be removed. You won't be popular when you go in to pick up your film.

• Premium Member

Both Kodak and Fuji motion picture color negative films use rem-jet, and require the ECN-2 process:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en.../h247/h2407.pdf

The consumer C-41 process uses a very different color developer, and does NOT have the required rem-jet removal steps (prebath, buffers, water spray off). As Dominic notes, processing a film with rem-jet through any process other than ECN-2 at a motion picture lab will ruin your film, and that of anyone else's in the machine at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
Both Kodak and Fuji motion picture color negative films use rem-jet, and require the ECN-2 process:

The consumer C-41 process uses a very different color developer, and does NOT have the required rem-jet removal steps (prebath, buffers, water spray off).

Hi! Despite the "different colour developer" do the processes C41 and ECN2 produce similar results from a visual point of view?

• Premium Member

As Dirk notes, if you do not use the specified process, you may get an image, but the sensitometry may be wrong, affecting speed, contrast and fog levels. In a color film, "contrast mismatch" will cause shifts in color up and down the tone scale.

Kodak motion picture color negative films share technology with their still film relatives, but they are NOT the same films, and are optimized for the ECN-2 process.

Thanks both! So does that mean that my plan to do some extra cheap preliminary tests using the still film equivalent of Kodaks motion picture films in an SLR camera and developing in C41 is not viable? Any ideas? Or can I only get familiar with motion picture films through expensive Motion Picture lab tests?

• Premium Member

You either need to shoot ECN2 motion picture negative and get it processed ECN2, or shoot C41 still camera negative and get it processed C41. As others have mentioned, the C41 system has no rem-jet removal step at the head so you will ruin the C41 developer by running ECN2 stock through it.

Places like RGB get the ECN2 negative developed at a motion picture lab and then do the printing themselves, either as paper prints or as slides.