Pushing Fuji Film

yasha

I am shooting a daylit scene on Fuji 250D. I am wondering if anyone has experience with pushing this particular stock +1, +2 and even +3 stops. I am looking for a description of what happens to the contrast, grain, color & saturation.

thanks,

yasha.

• Premium Member

I've pushed it one-stop, but that was rating F-250D at 160 ASA normally, so 320 ASA with a one-stop push. Looked fine, a little more grain and contrast. Without enough density, push-processed Fuji starts to go green & milky in the blacks. Plus, of course, there's the increase in grain and contrast.

"Fallen Angels" was shot on F-250T push-processed. "Girl Fight" was shot on (older) F-500T push-processed. "Ali" also push-processed F-500T one-stop for night exteriors (the non-HD ones.)

Of course, whether you are talking about 35mm or 16mm makes a difference.

Thanks for the reply. I am shooting on 16mm in a fairly monochromatic environment. Its a bathroom with white and gray tiles and full of sparkling ivory-like porcelain bathroom fixtures. There will be bright mid-day light pouring through large windows.

I am trying to create a very pure almost translucent feel. I want the whites and silver tones to really saturate the frame.

y.

• Premium Member

From what I've seen Fuji really starts to change color, contrast and grain when you start to push it, compared to Kodak. You really have to test it for yourself, but don't expect to push it very far before the color and blacks start to shift pretty dramatically.