Confused DOP

Colm Whelan

Hi I normally work in film.

Someone just dropped a brand new Sony F900r on my lap and asked me to shoot somthing on it this week. No operating manual. First problem I have is not getting a picture thru the test out to video in on the HD monitor. Only from the SDI out. and any menu changes I make dont seem to affect the picture on this monitor with this output. anyway I guess I'm looking for somewhere I can research and troubleshoot small problems and find out how to set up this thing to shoot in as film like a manner as I can. and quick. Help!!!!

• Premium Member

Like the Hippocratic Oath, the first rule of shooting HD should be "Do No Harm". If you don't know what it does, don't use it (especially Detail.)

You should be able to find a copy of the manuals (Owners and Maintenance) online by searching; otherwise, maybe talk to BandPro, who sells the cameras. Or even take the camera over to them if you're in Los Angeles -- they are in Burbank near the airport.

Basic questions everyone has to answer are things like Detail level (or off), ITU-709 color preset on or off (it boosts the chroma a little, especially reds), Black Gamma level (or off), Gamma Table pre-set, etc. If you're going to play with levels, it would be useful to use a big HD monitor and perhaps a waveform monitor.

Another good book is Paul Wheeler's "High Definition and 24P Cinematography".

A lot of the image adjustments, since they go from -99 to +99, are rather miniscule.

These HD cameras are pretty challenging to work with especially for a film guy. The lack of range and especially latitude make getting a decent exposure tricky. My first question for you is how much of a video shooter are you? I had thousands of hours of Betacam and Digi Beta experience before a started shooting HD. If you have a lot of experience the transition could be rather smooth.

Depending on the shoot you might want to hire a DIT/First assistant cameraperson to help you with the camera and teach you how to use it. You?ll learn a lot and get a great looking show. On the down side you may have to pay out of your pocket and make little money on the job (recommended)

Another choice would be to go to a rental house and get their technician to walk you through the camera.

Act like you are shooting reversal and don?t over expose. Don?t get too involved in trying to paint the image. As long as there is detail in the blacks and whites you can adjust in you color timing later.

If you don?t have a manual go to the Sony site and down load, print one, go to Kinko?s and get a spiral binding for it. I do this any time I work with a new camera. My shelves are filled with down loaded manuals for quick reference.

• Premium Member
Another good book is Paul Wheeler's "High Definition and 24P Cinematography".

I concur with this bit of advise. I got this book and it simply explains a lot of the things that had been vexing me about HD shooting.

thanks i actually have a lot of video experience and own my own digibeta 790 wsp. If I could be surre what I'm playing out to the montior is a genuine picture i would be happier. At the moment all I have is the sdi output to sd input. The test out signal to video in does'nt give me any picture and its all a bit confusing

thanks

Looking at the F900R brochure there seems to be quite a few changes in the menus, with new features like hypergamma (which look like different curves).

You may find that you have to select the type of SD output in the menu. I know that on the HDW 750 you can select either HD Y or SD composite out on the camera test out. Chances are it's the same on the new camera.

Also on the HDW 750 the rear BNC out can give SDI, however you need to select this in the OUTPUT SEL menu. BTW This is also where you may find the test out selection.