Ancient Kodachrome

Guest Ole Dost

Guest Ole Dost

I got more than 10 rolls of Kodachrome (16mm) 25 and 40 ASA... Expired 1990/1991! It has been stored in a fridge all the time. Is there any hope or should I just throw it away?

Thanks!

• Premium Member
I got more than 10 rolls of Kodachrome (16mm) 25 and 40 ASA... Expired 1990/1991! It has been stored in a fridge all the time. Is there any hope or should I just throw it away?

Thanks!

I'd definitely shoot one roll and see what happens. There still is a window of time before Kodak Switzerland no longer processes Kodachrome. If you get a good result you can either sell it on Ebay or shoot the rest yourself. If you miss Kodak Switzerland's cut off date Dwaynes also processes 16mm Kodachrome and I don't think they have published a cut-off date yet.

• Premium Member

Thanks!

A slow film that's been refrigerated over 15 years may show some deterioration of image quality, but it may still be acceptable. Most likely some loss of shadow density and some additional graininess. Try a roll or two before shooting anything critical. Process at Kodak Switzerland until September 25, or at Dwayne's Photo.

• Premium Member
A slow film that's been refrigerated over 15 years may show some deterioration of image quality, but it may still be acceptable. Most likely some loss of shadow density and some additional graininess. Try a roll or two before shooting anything critical. Process at Kodak Switzerland until September 25, or at Dwayne's Photo.

What about some Kodachrome II from 1969? A friend has a Double 8 Magazine camera and I found some unopened film from 1969, thought we'd try it and get it processed into B&W by Rocky Mountain labs. Interesting to see what we get.

Thanks!

Hi, i've shot 1995 fridge stored k25, currently using 1998 k25. Image quality is fine. If you choose to sell the k25, i will gladly pay good money for the film.

Andy

kodak will ship process paid 16mm to Dwaynes at no cost until 31 dec 2006, after that date, process paid k/c must be shipped directly to Dwaynes when processings costs must be meet by the sender. ( according to the press release and my call to the swiss lab) Process paid 16mm k40 has still not yet expired, i have pp 16mm k40 dated 9/2006, is this why kodak will ship t the US for free until dec 2006?.

Guest Ole Dost

Thank you all for your quick answers and good advices! I will shoot one of the rolls and I´m curious what will happen.

Ole

• Premium Member
kodak will ship process paid 16mm to Dwaynes at no cost until 31 dec 2006, after that date, process paid k/c must be shipped directly to Dwaynes when processings costs must be meet by the sender. ( according to the press release and my call to the swiss lab) Process paid 16mm k40 has still not yet expired, i have pp 16mm k40 dated 9/2006, is this why kodak will ship t the US for free until dec 2006?.

In the old days their used to be a note on the data sheet that Process paid film would be processeed if received within the expiry date. (I can see their point, when and if they shich the process they don't want to have two lines running indefinatly.

My experience is that Kodak is slightly more genrous than what is stated.

(When I was in the camera business, the outfit I worked for brought in grey market film from Kodak Limited London. Kodak Canada used to do a pick up and deliver service for Kodachome to the toronto lab. The british film came in boxes that were too small to return the developed film (regular 8) compaired to the canadain Boxes which they used to return the film.

We had no trouble and Kodak just used a special return box.

One day they had a problem at the lab and MANY rolls of Film were damaged. We got the bad news with separate packages , each of which had a replecement roll of Canadian film. Two of our customers were affected, the one that had sent canadaian film got a standard appology, the otehr was told that there film was not sold in canada, but that Kodak Canada was happy "on behaff of Kodak Limited London the makers of the film" to provide a replecement.

Shortly after the buyer "decided" to change to getting film from Kodak Canada. I wonderif the Lab noticing the "foreign" film got the Kodak rep on his case.