Best picture quality Super 8

Matthew Buick

Matt,

After scouring this forum it looks like the Leicina Special with the 10mm cineagon lense wins. However you'll also see many who insist that the Nikon R-10, Nizo 6080 and Canon 1014, 814XL excell. Oh and a second runner up is the Beaulieu 4008-9008 with the Schneider 6-80 lens.

Hi, sharpest super 8 cartridge footage i have so far acheived is with the leicina special with 10mm cinegon on k40 ( expect fuji 50 should yeild sharper images ), the 6-80 angenieux fitted to some beaulieus gives superb results, beats any canon,bauer,eumig,sankyo,chinon and elmo lens by miles. Sharpest super 8 images i have ever seen and acheived is thru a bolex double super 8 camera using k25 with switar primes.

Edited by k25rip

the 6-80 angenieux fitted to some beaulieus gives superb results, beats any canon,bauer,eumig,sankyo,chinon and elmo lens by miles.

I don't know, I just did a test with both the angenieux 6-80mm zoom and a canon 15 - 102 zoom on a Beaulieu 5008 and I thought the canon may have been a bit sharper, but I need to do a more rigorous test (shoot some charts etc) to know for sure. It seems to me that the Angenieux may have gone softer than the Canon when shooting wide open.

Guest Retrogorilla
I have shot very detailed images using Plus X in my Bauer S715XL with Angenieux 6-90mm lens. But always remember that the best shots require sufficient light.

I was gonna ask you guys about that. How does the Bauer S715XL stack up to the Leicina's of this world?

I've never shot with the Leicina, but I've shot with almost all the other top S8 cams, and so far, the Nikon R-10 looked best to me.

I've shot stuff in very low light with it, with Kodachrome 40, and it still exposed well.

The Canon 1014XL-S, Bauer750XL & the Nizo 6080 were very close to each other, at a close second to the Nikon R-10

in my non-scientific tests.

MP

Hi, my bauer 715 went soft at around f2.8-1.4. I mean it went completely out of focus, so i guess the back focus was incorrectly set up. My previous 3 canon 1014xls and current 814xls went and go soft around f4-1.4. Current beaulieu 7008 with correctly set up 6-80 lens is a lot sharper than any previously mentioned camera, especially wide open. Beaulieu footage is excellent, canon footage in binable. I have seen nikon R10 k40 footage projected and the image quality was great, appeared sharper than 1014 footage of the same subject. I have found the best looking 64t images have been obtained thru the 6-80 lens. I wonder if this lens was set up for tunsgten film, k40 images via the 6-80 look great, yet 16mm k40 images via zeiss primes lack the warmth and vibrant colours!!!!!!

Edited by k25rip