Standard 8 question

MattGrover

Hi all,

I have just been given a Quarz 5, standard(regular/single)-8 camera, bonanza! :)

Now if I remember my lessons correctly, std8 is basically 16mm stock run through the camera twice, once each way, each time using half the film. Correct?

After having a brief look online for stock (in the UK), I've found one place that sells B&W 8mm stock (http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/cine.php#std), but that's it, so I was wondering if I could use pretty much any variety of 16mm neg/rev film??

If so, brill, but with that I presume I would need to go to a Soho lab to get it developed, and ten would they even deal with std8?!?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Matt

It would be nice, but unfortently you can't just use regular 16mm double perf film. There are twice as many perfs on double 8mm. There is someone out there reperfing 16mm to double 8, something like 5 pounds per 100ft, unfourtently I can't remember his name.

Edited by egdinger

Hi all,

I have just been given a Quarz 5, standard(regular/single)-8 camera, bonanza! :)

Now if I remember my lessons correctly, std8 is basically 16mm stock run through the camera twice, once each way, each time using half the film. Correct?

Quarz -5 russian D8 ( Double standard 8, 2x8 ) camera.

This camera can use film with wide 16 mm, with holes with size of perforation of 16 mm film, but, the step between perforation 1/2 from step of 16 mm perforation.

If you visit of my site about russian cine cameras, you can find page with images about different type of films.

You can use Fima D8 ( 2x8 ) B&W reversal 100 ASA film.

I don't know other type of film with D8 perforation.

16 mm, Single 8, DS8, Super 8 films not compatible with Quarz -5 camera, need Double 8, D8 film only.

The inofrmatrion about Quarz-5 and other russian cameras you can see on my site too.