HDV camera-recorder compatibility ?

hi,

Im a bit confused by the new HDV recorders. I need to buy a new one, as my old DV recorder is giving some problems. BUt does exist a recorder that can read all the HDV formats that are around? the cameras all have different systems, the canon has only the 1080i and 1080f + new HDV2 codec, the jvc the 720p and the sonys the 1080i.

then I need primary the 25p (final cut studio does not support it, and I bought it just because of the HDV compatibility taking 25p for granted :angry: )and 50i mode as I live in europe a. as this recorders cost around 4000? i can not just buy one and then not be compatible to half of the cameras.

if anyone knows something abouth it it would be very usefull

thanks

daniel

It is my understanding that they are all compatible if they are marked with the HDV logo. The only exception I could see to this is perhaps the HD-100U from JVC when recorded in 24p mode (havent tested this mode with other cameras though), and maybe NTSC/PAL cross-compatability. However you live in europe, so I imagine all gear you have availible is PAL. I believe the HDV format covers all the various flavors of HD capture, and the encoding flags what type it is. (sort of like how DV can flag 4:3 and 16:9, along with audio options)

There are two HDV formats: HDV 1 (JVC - 720p) and HDV2 (Sony, Canon - 1080i)

If you want to shot progressive the HDV1 is the format, if you want to shoot interlace HDV2.

Canon HDV cameras have 24f or 25f setting, which isn't true progressive, but gives a similar effect (seems to be a high quality in camera de-interlacing).

In Europe the JVC cameras shoot 25p.

You'll need to check the specs on the HDV recorders, but the JVC BR-HD50E only records 720p on HDV, although it will output 1080i.

The Sony recorder appears to be only 1080i

Edited by Brian Drysdale

thanks for your help.

if i undersood right the jvc reads everything, while the sony reads only 1080i, this would make the jvc the better choice. but the dvcam rec function of the sony is also not bad.

I think I won't buy anything untill they don't decide to built a decent recorder.

Bad is only, that my jvc br-dv600e does not read propperly many tapes, that the firewiresupport for my canon xl1 is not working (but reads the tapes ) and that the jvc gydv700 is the worst player for dv tapes i have ever seen as it sees everywhere dropouts (since the camera was new)

I use only panasonic professional tapes, so it should not be a tapemixing problem.

hm... must think abouth it

thanks again

daniel

thanks for your help.

if i undersood right the jvc reads everything, while the sony reads only 1080i, this would make the jvc the better choice.

thanks again

daniel

I'd check with a dealer about the JVC reading both 720p and 1080i on HDV.

JVC say it has: "Multi-format output with cross-conversion function", which implies it does, but best confirm that.

It also plays DVCAM.