A-minima 200ft loads

Guest Allyn Laing

Guest Allyn Laing

Hello,

I am shooting with an A-minima next week, I am planning to use 2 different fuji stocks for a particular aesthetic of the piece. Is it possible to wind my own rolls onto empty 200ft Kodak cores from Fuji 400' rolls? If so what are the specific requirements?

Any help will be of great assistance.

Allyn

Student DP

Melbourne

Australia

I have heard, that it has been done, of course it must be done in total darkness.

Also it is important to consider that the AATON minima requires that the film is with the emulsion outwards (normaly the other way round).

Also it will not work with normal 200ft daylightcores, as the minima needs the specially designed plasticcores, but if you have some.

An other problem could be, that being wound the otherway round (emulsion ouswards) the film has another tension (I hope you understand this, as my english is a bit so so), so if you use film that previously had been on a core emulsion inside, once put it on a minima core it will tend to curve (like a spring) the otherway round. Now in the minima the tension of the film while running through the gate has been calculaten when collimating the flange focus distance. I will change the flange focus only minimally, but I'v been told that it could cause focus poblems.

maybe this problem could be resolved by loading the core at least a week before shooting.

I have loaded 400ft rolls on 100ft rolls for my bolex in the darktent, there you have to spool twice in order to get the perforation on the right side, I don't know if this is thru also for the minima, might be not as emulsion is outwards, but you will have to try.

I hope this was of help

daniel

• Premium Member
Hello,

I am shooting with an A-minima next week, I am planning to use 2 different fuji stocks for a particular aesthetic of the piece. Is it possible to wind my own rolls onto empty 200ft Kodak cores from Fuji 400' rolls? If so what are the specific requirements?

Allyn

Student DP

Melbourne

Australia

As I noted in your cross-posting, since you likely could use one of the many Kodak stocks available in 200-foot A-Minima loads to emulate the "aesthetic" you are looking for, it probably is not worth the effort and risk of "loading your own". Rewinding and winding camera film in total darkness requires great care to get uniform tension and an even wind, and to avoid issue like static marks and handling marks. Of course you must wind to get the proper orientation of emulsion-out and A-wind with the KEYKODE or MRCode reading in the correct direction.

• Premium Member

Yes, I have done it. Most labs have a darkroom with spooling facilities, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately, as I recall it, you have to spool it twice from 400ft roll: first to get the perfs down (or up, depending on which way you spool), then to get the emulsion side out. Most labs have empty A-minima cores they can give you.

Guest Allyn Laing
Yes, I have done it. Most labs have a darkroom with spooling facilities, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately, as I recall it, you have to spool it twice from 400ft roll: first to get the perfs down (or up, depending on which way you spool), then to get the emulsion side out. Most labs have empty A-minima cores they can give you.

Have you ever had focus drift problems because of the 'bend' being the opposite way?

Guest Allyn Laing

Have you ever done any timelapse on the camera before?

Allyn

Have you ever done any timelapse on the camera before?

Allyn

Hi Allyn--

I own an a-minima, have shot a ton of timelapse on it, and shot re-spooled film too. I didn't have any trouble with the re-spooled film (it was Kodak B/W reversal, though, not fuji), but for a paying job I'd definitely stay with the factory-spooled kodak film.

I also have some empty A-minima spools, but I'm in California--hopefully you can find a source in Oz.

What's your timelapse question?

Take care,

Mark Lyon

Mighty Max Films

Hello,

Allyn

Student DP

Melbourne

Australia

If you do spool down make sure you turn those reels SLOWLY as I ruined 400ft by winding fast and

"sparking" all the footage (static sparks from friction)

That was a long tima ago -and I havent forgotten!

GOOD LUCK