Shot with Genesis today

Eric Steelberg ASC

I was shooting some screen tests of actors for an upcoming feature. Yesterday we shot 11,000' of 35. That was a bit more than the producers had planned so for today I arranged for a Genesis, since no F900s were available.

Operating it was very easy. They've made it to be as easy as film, put a tape in and hit record. There aren't many things you can fiddle with. Only thing I noticed was the heat coming from the SRW1 on the side of my face while recording. The fan shuts off when you hit record. Wasn't uncomfortable, but was noticeable. Used a Primo 11-1 out front which gave us a great versatility.

Favorite thing about it...35mm depth of field. Liked it so much I shot wide open all day. Such a weird thing to see in an electronic viewfinder.

Didn't have chance to test latitude but seemed to handle the contrast of my scenes very well. Didn't use a lightmeter, just the waveform. I had rated the 5218 from yesterday at 400 so when I fired up the Genesis all I had to do was use the same stop and it was perfect.

Look forward to using it again.

My guess is yes, the fans would eventually turn back on if the system was close to overheating, but I don't know how that long would have to be.

David..

Yes, I know. I had told them HD would be their best bet but the company had 3000' left over and thought that would be enough...even though I said it never would. They wanted it to be as close to real as possible, even though it's just ending up on dvd. Oh well, do what I'm told.

By the way...were u there last week doing the Astronaut Farmer pick-ups?

• Premium Member
My guess is yes, the fans would eventually turn back on if the system was close to overheating, but I don't know how that long would have to be.

David..

Yes, I know. I had told them HD would be their best bet but the company had 3000' left over and thought that would be enough...even though I said it never would. They wanted it to be as close to real as possible, even though it's just ending up on dvd. Oh well, do what I'm told.

By the way...were u there last week doing the Astronaut Farmer pick-ups?

These producers don't sound very budget-saavy. If this is just for DVD, they could have shot the screen tests on an SDX900 or Super-16. As you know, there's a difference between a test to see how something renders in the final shooting format versus a test of a dramatic scene and how the actors will play it. Obviously if they are shooting more than 11,000' (which is already like 2 hours) they must be shooting actual scenes or something.

Yes, I was there at Panavision two weeks ago prepping for the "Astronaut Farmer" pick-ups. It was tough for the AC's because at the last minute (as we were leaving Panavision), we got two days lopped off of our pick-up shoot but the list of shots didn't get smaller, so the solution was to run three units simultaneously on one of our days, so at 4:30PM on a Friday, I'm calling my AC to tell him to prep a third package and set of lenses for it! Seems silly to work a longer day with more crew & equipment & overtime -- because it probably works out the same, budget-wise, as shooting an additional day with a smaller crew overall. But for some reason, psychologically, the studio would give us the go-ahead at the last minute if we had a two-day schedule instead of a four-day schedule.

It sucks because I love lighting and shooting inserts, but on "Astronaut Farmer" they always ended up being done by a second or third unit person without much supervision from me.

• Premium Member
I would have thought that the Genesis was in more use over the f900s

No, they got over 100 F900's originally and most of them are out on multi-camera sitcom shows for most of the year. They are midway through building the Genesis cameras, I think 40 to date -- they may stop at 70 or so. The Genesis is something like three-times the rental cost of an F900 I believe.

Until now, the existing Genesis cameras have been booked on some big shows with large packages -- "Superman Returns" took seven, "Flyboys" took four, etc. They are much in demand.

It is wise not to produce too many Genesis cameras. If Red will ever materialize, who knows.

What is the situation with the D-20. Are they also manufacturing as many of them?

Just found out they are $5,200 a day at the lowest, and go up to $6,500. Lens and accessories not included.