Kinor vs. Arri

Kelley Cross

I'm curious as to whether anyone has shot with both an arri bl-4 and a kinor (35 h or c) and could describe some differences. I just purchased a kinor and plan to do two projects in September. I've tested about 1,000 ft. so far and the registration seems rather solid. The projected prints are nice. My limited experience with the arri was nothing but great. An excellent camera and obviously very quiet. There is a fair amount of noise from the Russian camera in comparison but for shooting exteriors, it doesn't seem to be an issue. The lomo lenses are comparable to the Zeiss in terms of sharpness, in my opinion. I would love to get some other thoughts.

Thanks,

Kelley Cross

• Premium Member

The Kinors can be alright. I shot with them quite a bit when I was starting out and had mixed experiences. Generally, I'd say that russian mechanics are normally fine - crude, oversized but long-lasting. The electronics are however the weak spot. Thankfully, you can upgrade the electronics on the Kinors - I have a contact for you if you'd want to do that.

I trekked with one in a backpack to a lot of high peaks in Wales under very adverse conditions and had no problems whatsoever. But one another shoot, uncharacteristically, the main shaft on the Mitchell-type movement seized up on me. This took a long time to rectify, but we managed in the end. That shaft should really be in a ball bearing. So, just like Panavisions, you have to lubricate the movement at certain intervals, or it might not perform properly.

They're also virtually impossible to convert to PL-mount due to the FF and design of the mirror, so If this is your aim then I'd suggest another camera.

• Premium Member
Hi,

Try member Anders Banke, I know he has done electronic upgrades & owns a selection of 2 Perf cameras.

Stephen

That's the guy. Nobody has better connections in Russia than him since he speaks it fluently and owns enormous amounts of Russian gear.

They developed a new circuit board for the Kinors that is a major improvement. Incidentally, the same guys make an improved circuit board for the Arri BL range that's much cheaper than the P+S Technik stuff also.

He can be reached through the website www.solidentertainment.se

• Premium Member

Bruce McNaughton over at The Aranda Group in Australia does updated electronics for Kinors and Konvases for a relatively low price. I just got my Konvas updated and he does excellent work. Check out their website. www. arandafilm.com.au

Kev

Bruce McNaughton over at The Aranda Group in Australia does updated electronics for Kinors and Konvases for a relatively low price. I just got my Konvas updated and he does excellent work. Check out their website. www. arandafilm.com.au

About update of Konvas, Kinor-16 and motors of other cameras, can ask me too.

I can modify 17EP-16 APK, 18EP-16 APK, 15EPSS, 19EP-16 APK , 29EPSS, 10EP-16 APK motors and motors of other cine cameras on crystal sync multi speed motors with microprocessor controller.

• Premium Member

Yes, Bruce over at Arandafilm has a new 5000 speed motor mod for the Kinor (and Konvas) that looks sweet (and reasonable). Also, I was in contact with Steve Morton (also in Australia), he said he is coming up with a motor mod too. Looks like he has other nice Kinor mods as well- you might check out his page at:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~smort1/cinecamods/mods