Getting 4:4:4 from a CineAlta F900/3

John J. Moers

• Premium Member
Does anyone know if it's possible to get 4:4:4 out of a F900/3 or is that only possible with the new F900R or an F950? If so what do I need?

The F900/3 and F900R only sends out 4:2:2 out the HDSDI cable. You'd need a dual-link output to get 4:4:4 for one thing. The F900 is not a 4:4:4 camera basically -- you need to get the F950 or Viper. After all, if you're not going to use the internal VTR anyway, why bother with the F900 even for 4:2:2? The Viper and F950 would be smaller and lighter for one thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Hi Steven, whose f900s were modified? Any other details?

Mike Brennan

Mike,

There was a thread on CML a few years ago. I have looked in their archive and can't locate it. I am fairly sure the writer was Michael at BandPro, I think the conversion was for Lucasfilm.

Stephen

Mike,

There was a thread on CML a few years ago. I have looked in their archive and can't locate it. I am fairly sure the writer was Michael at BandPro, I think the conversion was for Lucasfilm.

Stephen

I was told by the MD of a manufacturer of live bluescreen keyer that he was present with a f900 that had a bunch of cables protruding from it to deliver 4:4:4 during a test for Lucas films.

This was before the f950s were available. The record is pretty straight about what Lucas eventually used.

Mike Brennan

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
"The Russian Arc" was record with an F900 direct to hard drives in 4:4:4.

How do they did it, i don't know but they did it.

It was recorded to hard drive but I doubt to 4:4:4 since the camera only outputs 4:2:2. Where did you read it was 4:4:4? No mention of that here:

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/producti...tors/index.html

Nor in the Jan. 2003 feature article in American Cinematographer.