Wal Mart & Kodachrome

Chris Maness

I tried doing the whole Walmart processing a few weeks ago and was told that they didn't process the film. They said they only process c-41 film. I then tried to explain how the process works and how they would have to send it out of there store and was promptly shut down and was told that they don't send out any film because they do it all there.

Anyone know what to say to these people to get around this roadblock?

Justin, it is my understanding that not all Wal-Marts offer the service. I have no firsthand knowledge as to why, but I believe it has something to do with the shipping (for off site photo processing) company that you local Wal Mart uses.

As for their claim that everything is done "in house", well, I'd be surprised. A WM could process and print film entirely onsite, in theory. If they offer movie film transfers or photo-mugs, that would have to be sent out. Personally, I would bet that they send all the "non one hour" film process out.

Most of the people at WM photo don't receive full training. So they may not know all the services they are supposed to provide. Often asking questions of them is a waste of time. If you want to do it, just write on the special instructions line "Process K 14" then call every week until it comes back.

You could also just send it to Dwaynes. It is more money, but less hassel.

Best Wishes

Joe