Cinealta documentary crew rates

John J. Moers

Does anyone have any idea of a ballpark figure for the day rate of a two person crew (DP and sound person with gear) in LA and NY (if they differ), with a CineAlta documentary package (F900, ENG wide zoom, stix, portable monitor, set of basic lights, etc.)? It would be behind-the-scenes work (b-roll, interviews). Thanks.

In LA, I'm currently $500/10 for SD (BetaSP/Digibeta) and $700/10 for HDCAM. Sound makes about $450/10 with gear. An HD camera package runs in the neighborhood of $1200/day. Currently there is no hard and fast IATSE contract that requires that a behind the scenes crew be IA members, however most EPK companies try to cover their butts by getting an IA crew anyway. In that case, we try to charge slightly more, though some companies would rather "take their chances" with a non-IA cameraman and audio mixer than set the precedent of paying extra for the IA crew.

In NYC the rate for two-man crew with camera, sound & lighting in SD (SDX900, DigiBeta, etc.) is around $1250/day, and in HD it is around $1500/day.

In the UK you'd just about manage to dry hire a HDW 750 kit (with standard & W/A zoom) for $1,500 - the F900 is even more expensive.

Hi,

I was offered 800 USD this week shooting HDV!

Stephen

Wow! Who do I call? I get $550 for that.

Overall, the rates need to go up and soon. With cost of living in LA being what it is, the average income of a Videographer working non-union jobs without making gear rental $ is about $110,000. Sounds like a lot and is in other parts of the country, but in order to really get anywhere we need to be pulling in closer to $200,000/yr.