Lighting for 24fps

Timothy David Orme

Most super 8 cameras are set up to shoot 18fps standard, right? So, if I'm shooting 24fps, does that mean I have to compensate my light readings/f-stops in order to get an accurate reading because 24fps lets in less light than 18fps? So, if I do compensate light, how much?

Thanks again for all your help.

• Premium Member
Most super 8 cameras are set up to shoot 18fps standard, right? So, if I'm shooting 24fps, does that mean I have to compensate my light readings/f-stops in order to get an accurate reading because 24fps lets in less light than 18fps?

Open up 1/3 of a stop at 24fps vs 18fps.

You should check though if the camera makes this compensation on its own either to its internal reading and/or the lens stop when you change speeds.

AJB

Open up 1/3 of a stop at 24fps vs 18fps.

You should check though if the camera makes this compensation on its own either to its internal reading and/or the lens stop when you change speeds.

AJB

How do I check that information? I'm shooting with a Nizo6080 and the manual I have is in German.

• Premium Member

I have honestly never heard of a camera that wont automatically compensate. The camera makers realize that 24fps makes a different shutter speed than 18fps, therefore, their meters should take that into regard. If you are really paranoid though, use and external incident meter.

• Premium Member
What is a Stop ?

An F-stop is the ratio of the aperture's opening compared to the focal length of the lens. Therefore, a single stop is not a set thing.

Furthermore, each stop down halves the light intensity from the previous stop. Therefore, 2 stops has half of the light intensity as one stop.

Edited by M.W.Phillips

• Premium Member
What is a Stop ?

A "stop" is the doubling or halving of exposure.

It comes from the traditional series of "f/stops" which increment by a doubling of the area of a lens opening, thereby doubling the light coming through the lens:

widest opening -- f/0.7, f/1.0, f/1.4, f/2.0, f/2.8, f/4.0, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22, f/32 -- smallest opening

Note that these increment by approximately the square root of two (1.41).

The f/stop is a simple ratio of the (focal length)/(effective iris diameter) of the lens. For example a 50mm lens with an iris diameter of 12.5mm is f/4.0. If the iris is opened up to 25 millimeters in diameter, the lens is now f/2.0 and lets in four times the light (two stops), because the area of the lens iris is now four times greater.

So a "stop" can refer to the lens opening, or any other parameter (film speed, shutter speed) that affects exposure by a factor of two.

One stop equals 0.3 log exposure unit (Log 2 = 0.30)