Ron Fricke & Baraka

Hi all!

Would just like to post a question about one of the greatest Cinematorgaphers of the modern era Ron Fricke. Im trying to find the "official website" not just one that claims it to be official so i can study his work. Not only that i cant even find a real website for Baraka??? Whats going on? Am i going nuts or what?

Can anyone help?

Joe.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all!

Would just like to post a question about one of the greatest Cinematorgaphers of the modern era Ron Fricke. Im trying to find the "official website" not just one that claims it to be official so i can study his work. Not only that i cant even find a real website for Baraka??? Whats going on? Am i going nuts or what?

Can anyone help?

Joe.

Ron Fricke has an amazing body of work, and at one point I revered him also. (Don’t get me wrong, Baraka is a personal favorite)- but his work is all basically documentarian nature photography. There are no lights, no sets and no use for all the knowledge one needs to function on a film set. If there's natural light and a location, he can shoot. (Not to degrade his beautiful time-lapse motion control work either) All I'm saying is that there is a lot more to cinematography than what is required in Ron Fricke's speciality.

all i know of are

http://www.spiritofbaraka.com/

http://www.koyaanisqatsi.com/

and obviously his imdb page and whatnot

Edited by Christian Vandervort

Ron Fricke has an amazing body of work, and at one point I revered him also. (Don?t get me wrong, Baraka is a personal favorite)- but his work is all basically documentarian nature photography. There are no lights, no sets and no use for all the knowledge one needs to function on a film set. If there's natural light and a location, he can shoot. (Not to degrade his beautiful time-lapse motion control work either) All I'm saying is that there is a lot more to cinematography than what is required in Ron Fricke's speciality.

all i know of are

http://www.spiritofbaraka.com/

http://www.koyaanisqatsi.com/

and obviously his imdb page and whatnot

He created art Christian. Just like people do on set. He had to find those locations, and lug around that 65mm camrera, and get the footage home safely.

Your comments aren't needed.

He created art Christian. Just like people do on set. He had to find those locations, and lug around that 65mm camrera, and get the footage home safely.

Jamie, all I was saying was that the phrase: "one of the greatest Cinematographers of the modern era" can easily be interpreted as a frivolous comment due to its lack of thoroughness. (Btw-what exactly Is the ?modern era?- I fully appreciate Ron Fricke's style of shooting... in my experience: more so than the next person (I?ve always advocated his films and practiced his style of shooting) But I've recently been introduced to, and immersed in other forms of filmmaking, and have developed a healthy appreciation for all of the alternative approaches to filmmaking. My response was only meant to address a seemingly innocuous textual mis-step. No need for animosity.

(Btw- I appreciate his physical and mental efforts as much as I do anyone else?s...and I don't think that you're the only person who fully appreciates Art as a metaphor for life, so don't be so condescending)

P.s. it was 70mm.

Actually, I agree with Christian's point of view. Other than the documentary / landscape / time lapse, I haven't really seen much of what the guy is capable of. Not to say that he's not capable, it's just that I simply don't know. I would hold off on labeling Ron Fricke "one of the greatest cinematographers of the modern era" until seeing a more diverse body of work.

Frankly, I think I'm more impressed with him as a location scout. ;)

This may be a little "off-topic", but has there been any info (recently) on his latest(?) project SAMARA ?

OOPS! A slight malfunction between my fingers and the keyboard on the last post! Should be SAMSARA>

Edited by Matt Butler

• 4 weeks later...

I still havent seen an official website for Ron Fricke?? And as for the comment on dealing with natural light as if dealing with natural light is easy! Studio work is controlled and if time permits one can produce a nice image. Landscape cinematography is much more challenging given the unpredictability of light and other issues. Not only that, Ron has been building his own cameras to compensate for this issue and many others. One of the greatest cinematographers in my view still stands! If you havent seen his work, look it up, hire it, buy it w/e just see it!

Actually, I agree with Christian's point of view. Other than the documentary / landscape / time lapse, I haven't really seen much of what the guy is capable of. Not to say that he's not capable, it's just that I simply don't know. I would hold off on labeling Ron Fricke "one of the greatest cinematographers of the modern era" until seeing a more diverse body of work.

Frankly, I think I'm more impressed with him as a location scout. ;)

I dont know ron fricke, and I'm not going to defend him, but calling him a location scout is idiotic. Very snide indeed.

Ron built the camera and the tripod for his Baraka and "quatsi" trilogy, and his timelapses wouldn't have been so beautiful if it weren't for the computer controlled tripod.

He is definately a cinematographer, but there are so many catgeories that can be "judged upon". Trying to decipher if he's "worthy" or not is a wate of time, since his work has been seen by millions. Need I reflect that comment to anyone here?