When to Pay Actors

As a fairly new independent film maker, I've concentrated normally on short films where I could pay the actor at the end of a shoot and it'd only be a few days after we began. As I prepare for a feature that is going to take a while longer to shoot, I'm wondering when is the best time to pay the actors. Is there a standard or accepted method of doing this?

• Premium Member
As a fairly new independent film maker, I've concentrated normally on short films where I could pay the actor at the end of a shoot and it'd only be a few days after we began. As I prepare for a feature that is going to take a while longer to shoot, I'm wondering when is the best time to pay the actors. Is there a standard or accepted method of doing this?

If the production is going to take, let's say three weeks, why not pay them weekly. That should work well. You could also talk with your actors and see if you can reach an agreement, and make sure to put it in writing. If money is tight up front they may agree to take a one lump sum payment at the end of the production.

You will also need to look into filing the proper forms with the IRS if you are paying them over $600 each.

-Tim

For non-union actors on an indie film I do a lump sum arrangement. Then 50% on the first day of production, and 50% on the last day of production. For leads.

For supporting people on set for a day, $300.00 when we wrap at days end.