Low budget feature shot on Z1

gregory mandry

Guest piyush sharma

[hi ,

ok first thing the trailor is not very impressive to me , i mean too much information is revealed and its very long. i feel as if i saw entire film .sorry .i dunno what gnaw means sounds like saw to me . no doubt its low budget film but it don't look very low budget good try . looks like u revealed too many scarry scene in trailor. direction also looks ok too me i mean not mind boggeling stuff and story looks same old kids whent to tour and hell break loose.

now about cinematography. humm it's not bad realy pritty impressive nice framing n composition . i am not happy with night shots, looks like bit gainy and videoish. i am not sure if it's blown up on 35 mm footage .as at some places it looks like video to me.i mean i had seen work of couple of guys here who made some work on fx 1 and z1 and amezing . but yaa at many places it looks like film but the thing is its so small so i am not sure how it gonna look in actual resoluition .becuase this small compression can make even normal mini dv fotage looks great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Photography is stunning, the sound great and the music perfect, but the trailer doesn't tempt me to watch the film, possibly too many things happening in it. The editor, without doubt, has 'bags of talent' and with all that well shot footage should easily put together a more concise tempter. But well done and best of luck with it

Photography is stunning, the sound great and the music perfect, but the trailer doesn't tempt me to watch the film, possibly too many things happening in it. The editor, without doubt, has 'bags of talent' and with all that well shot footage should easily put together a more concise tempter. But well done and best of luck with it

Its a nice trailer, but waaaay too overlong and far too revealing. I feel that after seeing it I pretty much know the entire plot of the film and dont need to watch it.

If you just hold back a bit from the audience you should have them eating out of your hand!

Guest rdegracia

very good cinematography job. impressive thinking that it was shoot with the z1. I'd love you give us more details about the configuration on the camera and the process... really good job.

the only sad thing to me is that I really disagree with this gore movies where the funny thing is the blood and people being tortured.

Hi anyone whos interested i've put a link for the trailer to a horror flick that i worked on. It is currently in post. The film was shot on a Z1 using a movietube quite good results i think. what say you?

http://www.bigyellowfeet.co.uk/gnaw.html

I NOW think the Z1 in combination with a movietube is a great tool!.. Very Filmic.. The sound was decent.. The acting Looked good from what I could see in the trailer..I did think the ending was a little cliched and strained...

Its difficult to motivate people to watch anything less than a Blockbuster so showing so much of the films content was understandable as it demonstrated the film was of a decent standard.. I dont think it would put me off from seeing it.. Personally Its not my taste But I had better not let my better half see it.. She loves horror movies..

I like the trailer. Looks like it would be a fun movie.

And the cinematography was great.

Question: What is a 'movietube'?

Is this the 'mini35'?

Would like to see a bigger version of it - maybe you could upload a higher res version in quicktime format and give us a link here.

Do you have behind the scenes pics?

Would like to know more about how you guys made this film happened.

When and where are you going to show it?

Good work.

Oh here is what 'GNAW' means:

gnaw v 1: bite or chew on with the teeth

Its a nice trailer, but waaaay too overlong and far too revealing. I feel that after seeing it I pretty much know the entire plot of the film and dont need to watch it.

If you just hold back a bit from the audience you should have them eating out of your hand!

just to let you you know the producers tell me this trailer was made for potential buyers not for the public hence it is overlong ang tells too much of the story.

I like the trailer. Looks like it would be a fun movie.

And the cinematography was great.

Question: What is a 'movietube'?

Is this the 'mini35'?

Would like to see a bigger version of it - maybe you could upload a higher res version in quicktime format and give us a link here.

Do you have behind the scenes pics?

Would like to know more about how you guys made this film happened.

When and where are you going to show it?

Good work.

Oh here is what 'GNAW' means:

gnaw v 1: bite or chew on with the teeth

The movietube is a bigger version of the mini 35 i've seen a mini 35 but never used one. It would be interesting to compare mini 35 and movietube as the mini 35 looks a smaller rig and at times the movie tube was a bit cumbersome.

Roll on the Oackley RED thats all i can say. i think it just shows that what HD manufactures have missed is that we want 35mm optics on our cameras!

I thought the promo reel was great. Photography was first class as were all the other elements. I?m really tired of ?Chainsaw? stories but people are still goggling them up. The format looked like Cinerama on my screen. Could you please give us some more info on how you shot it. What?s movie tube? How was the camera set up? What parts of the look did you bake in the camera and what did you do later? What was your post chain?

• Premium Member

Hi,

Movietube is one of many systems which rephotograph an image projected by a 35mm-style lens using a lower end camera. It's the "bent" one, where the camera sits at about 45 degrees to the horizontal and I believe looks at the front of the projection surface. This allows the use of a smooth surface, so you don't have to move it to remove grain - thus the cost saving.

It's really intended for cameras without a removable lens, when you'd be able to get better results using a Pro35 and end up with less glass in the way. It's a natural enough pairing with the Z1 and the results seem pretty reasonable.

Phil

• Premium Member

I don't know man, looked pretty good to me. What I liked most was the use of anthithesis. The way the music sets up a "Big Chill" type of weekend before all goes to hell. Most people neglect that in their films. Their images correlate too strongly with their soundtrack.

I liked the casting, lighting and the story seemed like it was being well told. I mean face it, what haven't we seen? All we can do is tell our stories in unique and personal ways. I felt sucked in. Good luck with it.

Guest Robert G Andrews

The visuals from the Z1 seem fine, and your trailer was alright,

but to me there are areas you should address when filming in the night,

Some of the characters look too young to be scary,

You need to think more about casting, bogey men more hairy?

The lad who is 'the butcher' just doesn't faze me as he *should*, he doesn't really scare me,

D'ya think he really would?

The girls seem to throw out that scream in hope that it would work,

It kinda does, but it's so rote, they sounded like a 'jerk',

Are you trying to do a 'Texas Chainsaw massacre' thing? You know it does feel that way,

Really we are talking about fine-tuning, but very crucial fine-tuning I'd say!

So my advice to you, is just don't sell out to blood,

If you want to raise my forearm hair you have to be more 'good',

Tell us a good story, dont just use up all your ammo,

The story is the backbone of your success,

It'll achieve you much more wham-o!

*The Filmingman takes a bow*

Seriously though, good luck with your film. The moving images are fine. The rest could improve here and there :)

Edited by Robert G Andrews