What's Your Other Art?

David Sweetman

Correlations have been previously implied between musicianship and cinematography, but I believe there may be a much more direct correlation between drawing/painting and cinematography since they are both visual art forms. I would be very interested to see how many of you are involved in other forms of visual art, and what they might be, whether drawing, sculpting, painting, or any other medium.

As for myself, I draw, though I'm not so good with colors and paints. I'm mostly interested in creating powerful lines and motion; one of my idols is Jim Lee, an amazing comic book artist who is the master in that area.

So, what's your other art?

I can draw, paint, and I also sometimes build miniatures.

I write. Stories, screenplays, the reference book in progress, love letters when properly inspired.... I also enjoy working in Photoshop when necessary to create promotional material for my projects and projects for friends.

• Premium Member

Mainly, though, what I do on my spare time is read history these days, just to get my mind off of filmmaking (unless it's a filmmaking history book.) Am reading a general book on WW2 right now, after having just finished a book on D-Day and the last year of the war.

Am reading a general book on WW2 right now, after having just finished a book on D-Day and the last year of the war.

Was it the one by Ambrose? History fascinates me, though I kind of got WWII overdose over the past few years, but I love studying the era. I recently found a bunch of old Vietnam documentaries, and it really blew my mind how close the reporters were to the action. There was no restraint on the reporters, it's like they were just dropped in with the rest of the troops. (If anyone here lived through the time, I'm sure this is old news, but it was new to me...)

My other addictions include a lot of drawing, music, a fair bit of painting, and a hideous amount of writing, both in screenplay, essay and novel form. I can see the links music and visual arts have to cinematography, but I also think that essays, not of the sort that are written for school, have a lot to do with cinematography.

Maybe I've taken it too far, and I'm just a lowly student trying out things that are new to me, but I like to take my background in English and writing and apply that to composition of a shot. In English classes, I would often have to break down a sentence into its individual words and evaluate the sentence; I've grown to believe that same thing can be done with images. You have to identify the subject, the direct object, the indirect object, etc. in the shot, as well as recognize what might be adjectives (beyond simply showing what the subject matter looks like), adverbs, articles, etc., and construct these like a large visual sentence. In writing, there are a variety of different voices that one can write in, and just as I don't like to write in a passive voice unless absolutely needed, I like to try to figure out what the grammar of a composition is, and make sure that what I choose to capture is in the right voice for what I am doing. Whether or not a visual grammatical approach a good idea, at least it makes me think about what I'm doing.

If you think that's pretentious, I can do a lot worse.

Sorry, I strayed away from the original topic a bit.

• Premium Member
Was it the one by Ambrose?

No, the only book by him that I've read was "Undaunted Courage" about Lewis & Clark (which I read while shooting "Northfork" in Montana.) By coincidence, the writers about WW2 are British -- Max Hastings ("Overlord" and "Armageddon") and now John Keegan ("The Second World War.") Taking a break from all the American Revolution books I was reading...

I hope you don't mind a student response to this question.

I read lots of history and English literature. I have also been a docent at our local museum. This experience really opened by eyes to light, color, and composition. The reading stimpulates imagery in my mind, but since I can't draw or paint, I decided to create images through film.

A friend of mine recently turned me on to The Artist's Way. I think it is a fascinating book on the connection between creativity and our spiritual selves.

I do a bit of photography, have dabbled with paints & built a few models... like David I also like to read.

By coincidence, the writers about WW2 are British -- Max Hastings ("Overlord" and "Armageddon")...

I have his autobiography; "Going to The Wars".

Interesting writer.

I sculpt, mostly 1:1 scale head jobs. Sometimes 1:6 figure sculptures. As my sig line says, I also make latex masks for fun as a hobby. Sometimes people even buy them from me, there is a huge cottage industry out there...

I also read history, alot. About %90 of my reading is non-fiction. Right now I'm into antiquity. As a matter of fact, I just finished a three quarter 1/2 scale bust of Hannibal. Hence my old display name of "BARCA".

Actually I can't say this is my "other" art as I'm not currently involved in film as a hobbyist or amatuer, certainly not a professional. I'm going to be filming again very soon, I hope. I used to live in Austin and did make-up/sfx to get around film. There were always no-budget films being made by folks, probably more now...Right now I'm learning by reading many posts here, and getting my feet wet again reading more up to date film book material. Post prod, etc.

Oh, how could I forget?! I also love my Mamiya med format camera! C220! Love it! I also shoot alot of 35mm with my old, trusty, all manual Nikon FM. Can't beat still photography for learning about the science of emusions and exposure. Well, it can be cheaper anyhow....B&W is my bag...

Very good thread, BTW, Mr. Sweetman.

I am an actor and have been for a while now. I draw. I was on a ballet schalorship in collage and danced with a ballet and a couple of jazz companies. I am into photography, landscapes mostly. I play guitar and sing. I of course write and have had several plays produced. I am also drawn to history although I really don't consider that an art, more of a hobbie. I prefer to watch documentaries on the subject as I have stigmatism and reading for long piriods of time is a little difficult for me. I have done costuming and makeup. I can also fence, ride and shoot, both firearms and bows and arrows, although I would guess that's more along the line of skills than art. I like to race and go boating, play pool, basketball and tennis, also hobbies. I used t build models but haven't done it in the last few years. I am interested in science and technology......Oh and of course women. :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member
Correlations have been previously implied between musicianship and cinematography,

So, what's your other art?

Music composition and stills photography.

Although I must say: I've seen more of a correlation between musicianship and editing than musicianship and cinematography. I think my knowledge and experience in music has influenced me more in the editing room than on location.

AJB