aaton mags

rob spence

Hi all,

One of my ltr 54 mags has a squeeky light-trap ( magazine M2334 ) ...I can highlight the problem by pulling old film stock through the trap so it must be a squeeky roller ...this makes it noisier than the other mags is it possible to cure this myself...I'm pretty good with mechanicals etc so I'm cofident to try.

Cheers

Rob Spence

• Premium Member

Sounds like your co-axial roller needs some oiling.

When we have to extract the co-axial we typically call that a full magazine overhaul as we do it in addition to oiling the rest of the mag's lube points, replacing and greasing the clutch pad on the take-up spindle, polishing the sprockets and putting all the tensions in spec. We typically charge two hours of labor for the service.

Removing the co-axial is a pain in the arse. Typically it is sealed around the edges with silastic to prevent light leaks so you need to remove the whole mechanism then scrape off probably 30-year old, dry hardened sealant. Then you need to open up the roller's housing, paying special mind to the teflon washer's and put a dab of anderol 401d or another light oil. Then put a half-a-dab of oil on the contact points of the steel cylindrical rollers on the entrance and exit of the whole co-axial mechanism.

That's the easy part.

Now you need to replace the co-axial. Place it back in keeping the screws loose so you can manipulate it's position. Thread the magazine with a dummy load and place the magazine on the camera and while film is running through the mechanism, set the position of the co-axial for best sound and transport and watch out for scratching or shaving. Once it's set, re-seal the edges of the thing with silastic. Do an exhaustive light-leak test.

Have fun >8)

Again Nathan many thanks,

doesn't sound too bad, presumably the light trap can be marked with a sharp point and replaced in the original position ?

By the way does silastic have another name ...I've never come across it in the Uk or is it just black silicone sealant, which I have come across.

many thanks

Rob Spence

ps I thought americans said ass not arse!

• Premium Member

Yeah, it's black silicone. Silastic is jut what the factory refers to it as, the tube in my desk is regular old dow corning black silicone.

It's not difficult, but it can be time consuming. Marking the position doesn't always help. You can't always trust that the previous technician knew WTF he\she was doing (and I always assume he\she didn't) so it might not have started in an optimal position.

Americans say ass unless they are feeling silly and then they use arse.

Or atleast this american does.

Good luck.