autofocus capability for RED?

Patrizio De Sica

In HD for Indies, it was announced "There will be some kind of focus assist that isn't being discussed yet, they are aware that a 4.5K image with a S35mm depth of field has a strong need for a strong focusing capability."

Will there be any autofocus feature in your cam, Mr. Jannard?

Hi,

I think this might have been covered but 'focus-assist' usually means a function that enlarges a protion of the image for fine focus checking as opposed to 'Auto-focus'. I dont know why people keep saying this cam should have an auto focus, I dont think its going to be aimed at ENG or run-and-gun shooting (it records onto a hard drive for one).

In HD for Indies, it was announced "There will be some kind of focus assist that isn't being discussed yet, they are aware that a 4.5K image with a S35mm depth of field has a strong need for a strong focusing capability."

Will there be any autofocus feature in your cam, Mr. Jannard?

Jim has said repeatedly: no auto exposure, no auto focus. If that's what you want/need RED isn't for you.

OK, then I'll be :ph34r: out!... :(

:D

But I won't give up of my envious 0000111 serial number <_< no way!

Last but not least, the autofocus can be used, not entirely as a dumb tool as really is, but as an useful tool when machine interacts with the man behind. Or must I say if we'll know how to interact with more one resource that can help if used less than 49%?

• Premium Member

How on earth do you expect Jim to have an answer to this question already? They only just shot their first images with a prototype camera and the design of the camera is not yet finalized.

As has been said before their target date for delivery is the 2nd quarter of 2007. The key word here being 'target', meaning that it is not set in stone and it is certainly way too early to be asking about details for the delivery already. Anyone who has any epxerience with the introduction of new products in any industry knows that a lot can happen between development and delivery. The Kinetta being merely one of the more extreme examples.

Emanuel,

Do you have any idea when you will have your 111 red unit?

I can figure out your interest and needs concerning RED delivery. The point is what Jim has been saying since the beginning. As usual, his posts has been 100% accurate on the subject. Early 2007 «can be as late as April in our minds». Jim's words.

If Jim didn't answer yet it will be 'cause he hasn't probably a solid answer to us. So, how could I know when I will have my RED ONE #111? But for sure, I have a solid decision on my RED purchase. And I will know what I can do with this beauty.

As Greg Lowry already posted in the thread you opened about it:

«Your delivery will also be subject to your place in the queue.»

BTW, there is an open thread very interesting out there about a possible use of an auto function(s) on RED.

I can figure out your interest and needs concerning RED delivery. The point is what Jim has been saying since the beginning. As usual, his posts has been 100% accurate on the subject. Early 2007 «can be as late as April in our minds». Jim's words.

If Jim didn't answer yet it will be 'cause he hasn't probably a solid answer to us. So, how could I know when I will have my RED ONE #111? But for sure, I have a solid decision on my RED purchase. And I will know what I can do with this beauty.

As Greg Lowry already posted in the thread you opened about it:

«Your delivery will also be subject to your place in the queue.»

BTW, there is an open thread very interesting out there about a possible use of an auto function(s) on RED.

Thank you. But now after IBC and the reservations close scheduled for October, maybe can it be possible any prediction on the matter? I'd like to know if there is any idea how many units will be delivered by month?

Edited by Patrizio De Sica

• Premium Member
Thank you. But now after IBC and the reservations close scheduled for October, maybe can it be possible any prediction on the matter? I'd like to know if there is any idea how many units will be delivered by month?

Hi,

The Red website is fairly clear on this matter:-

"Red makes no promises or representation as to the delivery date of the camera or final specifications."

Stephen

Hi,

The Red website is fairly clear on this matter:-

"Red makes no promises or representation as to the delivery date of the camera or final specifications."

Stephen

Hi,

Sure. But I'd like for a full disclosure on that as soon as possible. It's a professional camcorder and each investor has a professional schedule to accomplish. We need to know that and not exactly where will be the delivery. Even since there is a date, next April, this is not the problem.

Because we'll have an use for our investment as far as available and next October the reservations will close. Then, it should be any idea how many units they intend to deliver per month. That's the minimum what I will expect then.

Thank you,

Patrizio