Converting 35mm Stock Into SLR Cassettes

Tobias Marshall

I'm interested in shooting tests on my stills camera using actual Kodak stocks. I believe there is a tool that can load 35mm stock off a core into a regular SLR cassette. Does anyone know where I can purchase the tools needed, preferably in the UK.

Also any other information about this process or ideas will be appreciated.

• Premium Member

You can get empty cartridges at places like Jessops. Just cut off an approriate length of filmstock (about 2 feet) and attach one end to the spool with camera tape. Roll the rest around it and put into the cartridge. It's very easy, I've done it may times. No special tools needed at all.

But remember to drop it off at a motion picture lab, a stills lab would get very upset at you because the remjet backing will come off and contaminate their processing tank, other people's negs included.

For convenience sake, you can get a 135 (35mm canister) daylight loader. Basically, it's a black pastic box with room for a 100' roll of stock, and a seperate compartment for the still canister. With everything in the daylight loader, you can turn on the lights and very quickly crank the film into the canister.

It might be overkill for the occasional self-loaded cartridge, but if you have the volume, it's very handy. I used to load up 20 or 30 rolls of Tri-X at a sitting.