Super 8 sound blimp

Matthew Buick

Guest Paul Hanssen
I heard about this guy who makes professional ones, how much would one of them cost, I'm not to good at fabrics.

www.customupholsteryproducts.com :)

They do super 8 cams too,

Nikon R10 barney costs $ 125,-

I didn't buy it (yet??)

Send them a mail for specific/more info; they are kind people..

best regards,

Paul

Edited by Paul Hanssen

A few years ago I had a 35mm Konvas 1M heater-barney custom made at customupholsteryproducts.com.

I agree whole-heartedly with Paul Hanssen - The Gaither's are real nice people and I'd highly recommend dealing with them.

I know they have plenty of design templates for a lot of different cameras including super8's. They've been making both heater and sound barneys for a good many years and keep the templates in a file. So once someone pays for the 1st custom job, the template for that camera is there from then on out, which means they probably don't need your camera to do camera measurements again (thusly making it all-around much less expensive to make the barney).

Unfortunately for me, mine was the 1st heater barney made for the Konvas 1M (turret mount), so it was a "custom" job and a little pricey, especially when you add in the cost of shipping it out and back.

btw: I have a nice super8 D10 Minolta here that I keep telling myself I'm gonna get a barney for...

Cheers,

Edited by Adam Frey

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Erik,

Mine is a "heater" barney, which means it is designed for shooting the camera in extremely cold weather, not really for noise, although it did help some. I was figuring on a worst case scenario of shooting in and under 0 degrees Fahrenheit for a majority of that particular winter, and didn't want the film to become brittle.

Although it did help some of the noise, it wasn't anywhere near as much as a "sound" barney would.

As a note: There are two different materials used on barneys; the one helps insulate, and has "warmer pockets" (those hand warmer packets you buy) and the other helps deaden sound emissions. But from what I understand, it should help cut the sound emissions by as much as half.

If you're looking to kill all the sound, then you can actually build your own sound blimp for any given camera. It just takes a little patience, but you can do it with stuff you buy at the Home Depot. I think http://commiecam.com has a description or two...

Hope that helps!

• Premium Member
Hey Erik,

Mine is a "heater" barney, which means it is designed for shooting the camera in extremely cold weather, not really for noise, although it did help some. I was figuring on a worst case scenario of shooting in and under 0 degrees Fahrenheit for a majority of that particular winter, and didn't want the film to become brittle.

Although it did help some of the noise, it wasn't anywhere near as much as a "sound" barney would.

As a note: There are two different materials used on barneys; the one helps insulate, and has "warmer pockets" (those hand warmer packets you buy) and the other helps deaden sound emissions. But from what I understand, it should help cut the sound emissions by as much as half.

If you're looking to kill all the sound, then you can actually build your own sound blimp for any given camera. It just takes a little patience, but you can do it with stuff you buy at the Home Depot. I think http://commiecam.com has a description or two...

Hope that helps!

A cost justification theory. If one spends the 125 bucks for a sound barney, can the camera be toted around inside the barney? Certainly that would be better than laying the camera on a hard surface, no?