Children of Men

Guest Stephen Murphy

• Premium Member

I've just seen the movie - but unfortunately on dvd and am kicking myself for not catching it on the big screen (though I will catch it sometime...). The cinematography and production design were pretty faultless and full of interesting ideas that I know will resonate on further viewings. I've never been a great fan of Clive Owen but I thought his performance was spot on. He's not a performer who oozes Hollywood charisma but he was perfectly cast for the part he was playing.

Lubezki's work and George Richmond's operating was deeply confident but not flashy or gimmicky. Great form and content...

- but the too numerous plot holes were what stopped this film for me being a 'great movie' (in the truest sense of the word). Cuaron is obviously a very talented and imaginative director and I look forward to his next film...

... Michael Caine added some nice humour (thank god!) and I wouldn't mind a bit of his "Strawberry cough" as I write!..

The two best shot movies I've seen in the last year or so? - Children of Men and The New World... hat's off to you Mr.Lubezki! Hope you get the big gong in Tinseltown...

Rupe Whiteman

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else notice during the dinner scene with Danny Huston the sticks next to the window that had a gearhead & telescope on it? I suppose it would be common to find gear heads with vintage telescopes, but I just thought it was a nice little inclusion by props.

Not to mention the Pink Floyd pig that was floating outside the window as this scene was set in a modified Battersea Power Station, ha ha! Brilliant!

• 3 months later...

Nice looking if a little over-designed.

Appreciated the long take near the end especially the blood drops on the 'lens' mid take.

Story - totally agree with earlier comments re. "sixth form politics" ...

I understand the premise, I understand what happened to a lesser extent (too many 'lucky'/unrealistic moments) - but more importantly I am still in dark as to what this film is actually about ...