netting lenses?

Chris_Burket

• Premium Member

Basically you attach a nylon stocking to the back of the lens. Some do it with nail varnish, but I prefer Blue Tac (or White Tac). You are free to use any stocking you like, but the low grade, thick ones you buy in regular supermarkets simply won't cut it. Most people go for really thin ones (black, not brown), and thin menas expensive, unfortunately. On the other hand, a $100 pair will last you a lifetime.

The favourite brand used to be Christian Dior's thinnest, but I think they've ceased making them. That leaves Fogal as the preferred brand. I've uswed Fogal a couple of times and it works fine - it's quite subtle on 35mm, but rather pronounced on 16mm. Also depends on how you stretch it across the lens.

You get multi-coloured halations around the hightlights/flares, so depending on if you like that or not, that's something to look out for. The film From Hell has a lot of behind-the-lens nylon work in it, especially in the flashback sequences and often combined with the cross-processed footage. Nicely shot movie by Peter Deming, ASC - well worth having a look at just for the look.

Fogal works great. I built little rings that slide over the back element allowing me to remove and replace the nets quickly. As an AC gluing nets on made me nuts. Really time consuming. Especially on a commercial when the DP would show up that morning with the nets.

• Premium Member
Having trouble finding results. Can you hook us up with a link?

Sure. The link below leads to a topic discussion Kaminski's use of diffusion, as well as other DPs like Robert Richardson, ASC. It has photo examples, courtesy of David Mullen, ASC. Enjoy.

Topic 1 with photo examples

Dior or Fogal stockings, usually in black seem to be popular among cinematographers partial to using stockings/nets behind the lens. Testing, as always, is recommended.

• Premium Member

Fogal Noblesse Number 10 and classic soft (or 11, cant remember):

If you call the Fogal store in NY and tell them what you are doing, they will tell you which style all the camera people are buying. Should be around $75 to $90 a pair, get extra large ;)

Kevin Zanit