Aaton A-Minima Question

J. Anthony Gonzales

I know that the Aaton A-Minima takes the special Kodak 200' single-perf spools. But can you run double-perf through this camera? If I were to spool stock myself onto flex spools, can double-perf stock be used?

I assume it would, seeing as the normally it pulls down on just the one perfed side, but if you run double-perf through it, is there a chance of it crapping out because of mechanism catching or ???

Thanks,

John G.

• Premium Member

Obviously you won't be using it for Super-16. :P But should run through the camera fine. Just keep the winding orientation correct, and the KeyKode in the correct direction.

Why aren't you getting the A-Minima loads?

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/...e/aminima.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products....1.4.4.12&lc=en

I've run double-perf film in my A-Minima with no issues (except of course that you only get the standard-16 area). I did it so I could use b/w reversal (something I really wish Kodak would release in A-Minima loads).

Best of luck,

Mark Lyon

Mighty Max Films

• Premium Member

I have always been curious, how do you hand load the 200ft spools? Do you have some sort of winder in a changing tent set up? And how do you deal with dust issues? Just curious.

-Tim

• Premium Member

The Super-16 gate and lens centering would fully cover the needed 4:3 aspect ratio image area, but you would need viewfinder markings showing the correct image area. You would have image exposed between the extra set of perfs, but you would not use it, and print or transfer the standard-16 4:3 area.

I have always been curious, how do you hand load the 200ft spools? Do you have some sort of winder in a changing tent set up? And how do you deal with dust issues? Just curious.

-Tim

You use a rewind bench in a darkroom. Every lab has them so you can ask to go in back for a few minutes and spool off some rolls. Doing it in a changing bag would be a slow torture indeed.

It is popular in New Zealand to breakdown 400ft rolls onto A-Minima spools, (a 400ft roll is cheaper than two A-Minima rolls).

The stock needs to be wound twice to keep the perfs on the correct side and you must make sure the Emulsion is up (base down on the spool)

The main problem is getting enough empty spools!.