14 members have voted

1. 1. Who here likes Kodak 5277 stock?

• Love it
    • Its ok
    • Dont use it
    • Hate it
    • Dont use kodak stock :-(

• Premium Member

For the right project, I think it's a lovely stock. I liked it best on a 35mm feature I shot where I rated it at 160 ASA and printed down. Michael Ballhaus has done some nice work with it rated at 200 ASA, like on "Gangs of New York" and "Sphere." Harris Savides has also done some great work using it, like for "Gerry".

I think it's a bit too soft & grainy for Super-16 though.

• Premium Member

Like its younger sibling 52/7218, I love the dynamic range but don't always love the gamma curve. It's great to be able to capture such a range of highlight and shadow along with creamy soft color, but that doesn't always look right on the screen. I find you have to "goose it" a stop (160 ASA) for a more normal-looking contrast. But I've also used it rated normally AND pulled one stop (under the wrong color temp) for a really dreary, depressing look. Great stuff for that; more flexible than other stocks (pre-Vision2).

But now that there's 5218, you've got essentially the same thing with faster speed and similar grain. And if you want a similar look with slower speed for exteriors, there's 200T 52/7217.

I shot a short with this stock and loved it (After David compiled a list of features shot with it for me!) It was on standard 16 though so the grain got a little overwhelming at times but it was for a Digi-Beta master so it wasn't so bad on the small screen. It's the pastel colour tones that really do it for me, but we ended up pumping up the colour a tad and the low contrast high satturation combination gave a lovely dreamy soft atmosphere.....

Olly

PS just saw "Gerry", stayed with me long after it ended, luminous imagery.