dopstudentshowreel

Nice work. IMHO, I think it is cut to fast. It is good to build a pacing in, but I find that producers and directors what to see a shot. I realize that it takes a while to build a reel, so if you don't have the material yet that is cool, but if you have a few really nice tracking shots, slow mo or something that last for more than 2 to 3 seconds I'd add that in. In the future I would fight to supervise the telecines and for better telecine machines. Some of you're images could look better this way you might want to consider do in an online color correct of you reel.

Keep up the good work. you can see my old reels online at www.aaronmedick.com. if you are interested. I'll have new ones up early next year.

Aaron

hi, first thanks for the critics... mmh its the old question if the reel is cut too fast or not... mmmh if i send the reel to someone, they get a dvd with the showreel and with some complete films, if they want to see more than the fast cutted reel... but i liked it and most of the people liked it too, but there are some who think its too fast... but thats cool for me,

so i think its the final cut and next year i cutted a new one...

yes i know that there is a telecine problem, and that it could look much better with a great telecine, but we never had the money for it, because mostly everything was student work/films, and i give it the look on my apple with final cut, and i played it out on minidv... Its worth for the look but that was the only way.

But i think its a fine first personally reel, which shows my "lowbudget" work 20032006...

thanks

greets chris

p.s. to aaron, very nice work, nice look, very profesionally and thanks for the interesting homepage. I searched so long to find a showreel network... yeah interesting...

But in my opinion your showreel was cutted a little bit too slow... :-) yes i growed up with mtv

by

chris

hi

i liked your reel it's showed you have different styles you control and bring to a production which is very good for a DP . its show that you can execute a director vision.

can you tell me how you did the shot with the ball enter the bucket?

hi this is the final cut of my dopshowreel, i changed it a little bit and now i think its a fine small reel... hope you like it....

have fun and please write me your critics to my work...

Showreel20032006ChrisCaliman: http://blip.tv/file/69184

35mm,16mm,HD,MiniDV,Musicvideo,Shortfilm,Commercial,Documentary

Wow, some nice stuff.

Just out of curiocity, what file format and size did you use for it. Normally free video websites like that tend to diminsish the quality but you've kept it pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the reel. I would say the strongest aspect of the reel was its variety. You exhibited a very wide range of solutions to numerous technical challenges which speaks well to the potential employer, and it also increases the chances that something you did "clicks" with the director in what they're looking for. I'm not sure I would slow down the reel too much. All the way through the reel I felt like I wanted to see more. "Oh wait go back I want to see that last one for a little bit longer." Which I think is exactly the attitude you want to elicit. You want the recipient to stop and pay attention to you. You want them to want to learn more about you. Leave a little mystery.