Apocalypto Trailer

I don't know if this is the right subforum, but I'll go ahead. Sorry in advance...

Have you seen APOCALYPTO's HD trailer? At first I wasn't really happy to learn that it would be shot in digital... I was hoping for some great 35mm -even 65!- cinematography.

I think the trailer looks good overall... but what can one tell from a Quicktime trailer, right?

The only thing I noticed was that in some of the shots the movement seemed quirky, almost videoish. Specially in one shot with several men running with torches... has anybody noticed this? What do you think it could be? different shutter?

I don't know why, but I am quite excited about this movie, and I didn't even like Braveheart...

Cheers,

Looks awesome to me. Dean Semler is an amazing DP. I like the attitude of good cinematography is good cinematography... not sure if it maters what you shoot on. I've seen lots of HD movies i didn't like the look of... even more 35mm ones. Not sure if I saw any videoish look... but i think I'm as excited to see this one as you are.

this doesn't contribute much to this thread, however, it is apocolyto related and good for a laugh...

watch this trailer (the "teaser" version) http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/apocalypto/, when you see the cu of a screaming monkey, approx. 2/3 of the way thru the clip, step back frame by frame and you'll get a bearded suprise! you'll know it when you see it...

-ryan

Hi,

I think this looks AMAZING! I would not class a single shot as looking at all "Videoish". I cant wait to see it now, even if the story isnt all that the cinematography is worth watching alone, by the looks of the trailer. It looks crisp and grainless, but in a really good way!!

Cheers.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love the trailer, especially those wonderful creamy skies. But only a couple of action shots struck me as videoish. As for the rest, I think I wouldn't have noticed that it had been shot in digital.

Have you guys checked out the specific shot I mention? It's the one where the natives run with torches in the jungle (I noticed later that there were several torch shots...)

Oh, Mel's appearence was hilarious!

I was hoping for some great 35mm -even 65!- cinematography.

Honestly, if David Lynch is holding press conferences saying "film is dead". Then 65mm film is certainly going to make a come back. I have never seen a film projected in 65mm and the last film I saw shot in it was "Far and Away." Spiderman 2 doesn't count.

You mentioned that some of the Apocalypto looked "video-ish". Does that have to be bad? Doesn't video have a certain appeal, stylewise? I am just asking.

I saw that awhile back in EW magazine. Funny stuff. Mel is one funny anti-semetic dude! J/K! He looks insane, like he's on cocain or something.....hehehe. Gotta love Mel.

I think Mel Gibson is the greatest film director living today. I expect great things in this film. I think his films are a pure exercise of cinema.

Interesting how an immature drunk-driving incident, with a handful of unfortunate choice of words, damaged his already shaken reputation. I think we should let his films speak for themselves and not let his lifestyle choices reflect their quality.

One thing I love about Mel Gibson. He has a sense of humor about himself. Something very few people have these days.

Lets not even let this become a FIlm Vs Video debate (there is really no point in that debate at all...EVER) In terms of a shot/film looking "Videoish", I dont neccesarily see that as a bad thing, for example in collateral there were many shots that were obviously Video, but were really nice and enhanced the story due to that specific look, I think I know what shot Mariano was reffering too (the guys running in a line holding torches?) but I wouldnt say it looked "Videoish", the whole thing seemed very crisp and grainless, so in a way you could say the whole thing looked digital, but the skin tones, highlights, and movement seemed far superior to "Video" (HDCAM etc..) but did look different from film, so I think a better term would be it looked "Digital".

Cheers.

You mentioned that some of the Apocalypto looked "video-ish". Does that have to be bad? Doesn't video have a certain appeal, stylewise? I am just asking.

Yeah, I'm sorry, I don't want to start another film vs. digital debate. The videoish look isn't in itself bad, of course... i loved the cinematography of Julien Donkey-Boy, for example, or Gummo's (shot partly in digital), because they have a different notion of beauty... The heavy noise is not a flaw, but a very interesting feature.

Now, I mentioned those shots in the trailer because they stand out from the rest, which look very film-like.

Hello All,

I love film. The trailer of APOCALYPTO looks fantastic. Dean Semler (sp?) is a wonderful cinematographer.

The trailer made me want to see the film.

You see, it's all good. Just enjoy life for what it is.

Mike

One thing I love about Mel Gibson. He has a sense of humor about himself. Something very few people have these days.

Word. Everyone is so serious these days. It also seems that anything can "offend" anybody at any given time. Very PC culture.

Of course anti-semetic remarks are something I can't tolerate. So he was drunk. I guess if I get drunk or stoned and go anal rape some pregnant chick I have a good excuse...? Of course not. That is extreme but so is racisism, don't forget. And, trust me, the media shitstorm would have been way worse if he had said, say, "n****r". As much as people talked about it, anti-semetism won't kill a career. Mel has racist tendencies I would say are beyond "unfortunate remarks". That is PR talking.... Its not like he said "bitch" and has to say sorry to femmenist across the world. He is getting off way easy, but he has also done all the right things regarding apologies and such. I think he knows these 'feelings' regarding Jews as a whole are something he needs to work on, it is a legit apology.

Anyway back to the film....yeah, pumped to see it. I think he is a very talented filmmaker who doesn't get the credit he should because of Passion. IMHO, expressed strong religious beliefs are not too popular among hollywood peeps. (who are they anyway? :) )

I am hopeful that it will be his best film. I think Mel is going to take an artistic "jump" in his work. At least thats my feeling....

• Premium Member

Personally, I have little to no interest in seeing "Apocalypto". I don't know why. Maybe I should. I don't know.

My brother specialized in this area of history. Maybe he can motivate me.

Saw the trailer and I cut some promotions as well. Same old 'invented language' / foreign issues with relating the story in trailer/promo format. "Epic... big.... forests.... otherworldly...... Academy Awards...... lots of smoke.....no dialogue.....white on black bold titles". I'm not paying to see a film because eveyone thinks it's "important" and they spent some bank to get it made in the Amazon.

That's because most Hollywood films suck and people do too. Me & Mel Gibson included occassionally. It's called being human. You got a problem with a drunken tirade then don't pay to see his films. You know - cast the 1st stone, all that good stuff. Freedom of choice.

Video or not, I'll admit the images are striking and I will probably HAVE to see it after typing all this. I just can't believe we've devolved into participating in this celebrity-obsessed culture and debating what happened in Malibu that night.

People are freaks. Some of our most celebrated directors and elected officials are whacked. Get over yourselves and grow up. Planet earth is crazy. Deal with it. You don't like him, don't pay. Simple as that. I would've expected this maybe over at Entertainment Tonight. com or US magazine but "cinematograpy.com"? Please.........