New Music Vid - Like the look?

Morgan Peline

Hi,

Here's a rough cut of a new video I did with some friends over a Saturday a few weeks ago. I just did the lighting, as one of the co-directors did his own operating. I used mainly four 2K Blondes, a couple of 1K Pups and a couple of 2K Skypans, some blue gel and some polyboard.

Hope you like! We had quite a lot of fun - it was only about a 14 hour day, which I think isn't bad at all.

http://www.3030recordings.com/kubichek/

I like the camera work, and some of the lighting and camera moves, some of the dolly work seemed awkward mostly in the "office" section.

I thought the concept of the video was weak and more art direction should have been done (at least taping the seams in the drywall so they didn't look like panels).

I would have also repositioned the band to get more head on shots. There were a few but it would be nice to see more variation.

I would have shot more ECU's of the people in the office lip-syncing the words. From the distance they were shoot at it was hard to tell that they were lip-synching.

Was that a 35mm adapter on the front of the camera? It looked like you had some Nikon still lenses attached, but the adapter didn't look like anything I had seen before. Thanks for sharing your work :).

-Scott

I think one more location shoot would have been better. There are some interesting shots but it gets slightly boring or is it just my ADD kicks in sooner with music videos. I wanted to ask you about the camera, which one did you use and did you only use a the 50mm?

Edited by sibte

• Premium Member

Hi,

Looks like you shot under daylight with the camera set up for tungsten. I don't think this works as well on video as it does on film unless you reduce saturation in post.

Either that or you did it with a hue rotate; either way can make people's lips turn cyan.

Phil

Hi,

I think it's pretty much what went on camera with no tweaking but I'm not sure as I haven't been involved in the edit. I used Summer Blue gel. We'll probably grade it when it's finished but I think the directors love the blue. I have to admit I wasn't too sure about the strange coloured lips when we were shooting it but it's kind of grown on me just for the fact that it's something I would never dream of doing if I was shooting a drama. I quite like it's non-attractiveness.

The camera was a Panasonic AG- HVX200 - DVCPro HD with P2 cards and yes we only used the 50mm. Yeah, I think maybe it could do with one more location for extra interest...