I DONT GET THIS!!!!

freddie bonfanti

so i just got two rolls of 64t from telecine with miniDV transfer back from the lab. i played the tape and i was upset: the highlights are blown out, especially the sky and everything looks slightly overexposed. when i shot it i used my loyal lightmeter and i thought my exposures were gonna be accurate. fortunately they sent me the positives as well so i checked them out and each single frame looks properly exposed. sky is there, nothing is blown out. what am i missing? was it a bad telecine or am i wrong? the camera was a canon 814xl electronic

thanks

Yes, it was definitely a bad telecine. They have propably timed it on an underexposed take so the rest (with good exposure on positive) looks overexposed. Show it to them(or the timer) and ask them for a new transfer, they might do it for free.

• Premium Member
Yes, it was definitely a bad telecine. They have propably timed it on an underexposed take so the rest (with good exposure on positive) looks overexposed. Show it to them(or the timer) and ask them for a new transfer, they might do it for free.

Well, what sort of telecine was it? If this was a Rank-Cintel transfer or some other high-end telecine, they should be able to transfer all the detail on the original (within reason), but if this was a less-expensive film-chain transfer (basically a Super-8 projector pointed into a video camera) you should expect a loss of detail and increase in contrast.

sorry for the delay,

it was done at the widescreen centre in london. its just very disappointing. as i said the whole positive looks very good and im gonna try to play it tomorrow through a projector and see what it really looks like. i dont know how it goes in the US, but over here its very discouraging to shoot super 8: too expensive and too rare.

freddie

freddie - give them a call! I've just had a similar-ish experience there. gave them 400ft to transfer, 2 rolls which were badly exposed, the rest normal. did a great job on the 'bad rolls', but blown out on the whites for the rest.

If your TK is unassisted you've always got potential for this kind of prob (i've also come across similar problems with TK jobs not being to the standard you'd expect at much more expensive facilties than Widescreen).

good luck with getting it sorted

G

sorry for the delay,

it was done at the widescreen centre in london. its just very disappointing. as i said the whole positive looks very good and im gonna try to play it tomorrow through a projector and see what it really looks like. i dont know how it goes in the US, but over here its very discouraging to shoot super 8: too expensive and too rare.

freddie