300 Trailer

If I remember classics properly their was an emphasis in Spartan society on hairless bodies plus strict dietary and exercise regimes. Bred for war, the women too. The Spartans, it also turns out, were actually english...

---The Spartans were hoplites. The occasional Celt might have fought naked and young spartans in a coming of age test maybe had to run around naked, foraging and murdering serfs.

But in real battle they not run around in leather jock straps, they wore the same heavy armor as other Greeks.

This was one of the Greeks advantages over the lightly armored and unarmored Persians.

Also better discipline and fighting in formation.

http://digilander.libero.it/tepec/the_spartan_hoplite.htm

If I remember classics properly their was an emphasis in Spartan society on hairless bodies plus strict dietary and exercise regimes. Bred for war, the women too. The Spartans, it also turns out, were actually english...

Sasha

It's true that the greeks did wax and my have favoured hairlessness on most of their bodies for wrestling and such athletic occupations. But I doubt even the spartans (who were renouned for keeping impecable grooming standards even during potracted battles) would have had the resources (considering they had almost no functioning weapons/amrour or food after the first day) to be waxing themselves at Thermopelya.

Also, It's true that they did wear a Cuirass (chest/back plate) and various other pieces of greek armour (shin/ankle guard, forearm protectors etc..) which gave them the advantage over the persians who had little/no armour except that made of wicker.