Reversal Stock...

Jim Malone

I would like to simulate the look of reversal stock in post production color correction. I know I could use a program like Magic Bullet or something similar, but how would I simulate something like that with just say, Final Cut and no extra plugins?

Please advise.

• Premium Member

Mainly it would involve an increase in contrast, with more clipped highlights and crushed shadow details, like a transfer from projection prints rather than negatives or intermediates. It may also involve a boost in chroma if you are simulating certain stocks like Ektachrome 100D or Kodachrome.

Excellent. Thanks for the tip. I was watching "Domino" today and thought that the visuals were just amazing.

I love that reversal stock look that Tony Scott seems to be so fond of.

Here is another quick question then regarding chroma boost. In the past when I have tried to boost the chroma in an image I find it really brings out the artifacts. It seems to make them really apparent. Is there any way around that?

Edited by Jim Malone

• Premium Member

You have more flexibility to boost chroma when working with less compressed recordings with greater color depth, but even then, there are limits imposed by the final recording and display format.

For example, a 10-bit 4:4:4 HD recording with low compression will handle a chroma boost better than an 8-bit 4:1:1 DV recording with high compression.

Excellent. Thanks for the tip. I was watching "Domino" today and thought that the visuals were just amazing.

I love that reversal stock look that Tony Scott seems to be so fond of.

Here is another quick question then regarding chroma boost. In the past when I have tried to boost the chroma in an image I find it really brings out the artifacts. It seems to make them really apparent. Is there any way around that?

I liked the look of "Domino" too... I heard they used alot of cross processed reversal (100D)