Super 8 film play on 8mm projector

Eugene Hughes

I got a Q ...

I am assuming Super8 will play ona 8mm projector correct ? I would need to put the Super8 film onto an 8mm rell is the only issue correct. I do not have both film stocks on hand to compare, but I want to have only 1 projector and hope I can easily do this.

Best

Eugene

Guest Glenn Brady

Super 8 film cannot be projected using a regular 8mm projector, even though Super 8 film can be wound onto a regular 8mm reel. Not only is the Super 8 image appreciably larger, sprocket holes on Super 8 film are positioned differently than on regular 8mm film and they're much smaller. Attempting to run Super 8 film through a regular 8mm projector will result in damage to the film and, possibly, damage to the projector. Having said that, there are dual format projectors capable of running both regular 8mm and Super 8.

OK Fine !!! thanxxx for the fast replies.

I just fired up a recently acquired a Revere 85 projector ( $25 w/ shipping !! ) and showed some home movies to my mother. It is the first time she has seen both my father and sister since they passed away 2 years ago. the images were pretty good considering the film had been improperly stored for 40 years. Wonderful color saturation. the films were shot on a Bell & Howell camera back in the late 50's & early 60's. I see that the film needs some cleaning as well as the lens on my new toy.

One problem I have is the Revere 85 will not take some larger reels of 8mm ( I am guessing 200' ), they hit the mechanisim so I guess I will have to manually rewind some film onto smaller reels and then show the films. I probably will then do a home telecine onto mini DV. I am hoping for decent results.

I also have a super 8 projector and I am waiting for some Super8 film I just shot to get back from Spectra.

best

Eugene

Edited by Eugene Hughes

... I probably will then do a home telecine onto mini DV. I am hoping for decent results....

You can hope all you like but if you are planning to just project on the wall with an ordinary projector, or use one of those nasty little groundglass, mirror and cheap closeup lens "telecine converters" you will get flickering, grainy, unsharp, dark-cornered garbage. You haven't said what method you plan to use so pardon me for making this assumption.

There is a whole technology that has been developed for doing it properly. If you don't have a huge amount of film it is not worth buying the special apparatus yourself. I suggest you send it to someone equipped with our Tobin Video Transfer machines, or equivalent. The typical rate is about 12 cents per foot for a good sharp flickerless exposure-corrected transfer.