reversal as negative

kelly tippett

Hey I'm new, I'm shooting a feature in the following year and have narrowed the film down to 16mm Black and white Kodak tri-x reversal film 7266. I was reading where it can be developed as a negative. But it will be grainier that way. My question is- if I shoot on this and decide to do it as a negative will it be too bad for blow-up? Will it still look good for dvd release? And can they transer negative to mini dv for editing? If so then I could still transfer it to mini dv for editing and make a good product for possible television/dvd release, and have a negative for blow up just in case right? Or should i just stick with reversal? Your experience and input is greatly valued.

Edited by kelly tippett

• Premium Member

Don't bother developing it into a negative; it won't look that good and there's no advantage unless you needed a 16mm contact print. You have to blow it up anyway if going to 35mm, so you might as well leave it as a reversal image and blow that up to a 35mm dupe neg in an optical printer or use a D.I. And you can transfer the reversal original to video.

There would be an advantage to shooting in b&w negative in the first place if you wanted more exposure latitude than b&w reversal, but it would also be softer and grainier.

Don't bother developing it into a negative; it won't look that good and there's no advantage unless you needed a 16mm contact print. You have to blow it up anyway if going to 35mm, so you might as well leave it as a reversal image and blow that up to a 35mm dupe neg in an optical printer or use a D.I. And you can transfer the reversal original to video.

There would be an advantage to shooting in b&w negative in the first place if you wanted more exposure latitude than b&w reversal, but it would also be softer and grainier.

Thanks, that's just what i needed to hear. If you know off hand what color reversal might match it that would help. Because there is a painting and some stains on the fingers I want to shoot in color and desaturate it so it is balck and white but the color stains.

would anyone know what color reversal grain would match the tri-x 7266 black and white 16mm film?