Akira Kurosawa's "dreams"

kelly tippett

I watched this back in 93. I was 23 and just fell in love with it. must have watched it over 5 times. I just bought a vhs copy off the web. It should be here in 4 to 14 days. Just out of curiousity does anyone have any interesting facts about this movie. What film was used? What camera? How long did it take to shoot? I heard he was 80- years old when he did it and it was his last film. By the way he did a thing called "the silent war" ( i think it was called) very good even though it was a government war movie about the soldiers spread of sexualy transmitted diseases.

I watched this back in 93. I was 23 and just fell in love with it. must have watched it over 5 times. I just bought a vhs copy off the web. It should be here in 4 to 14 days. Just out of curiousity does anyone have any interesting facts about this movie. What film was used? What camera? How long did it take to shoot? I heard he was 80- years old when he did it and it was his last film. By the way he did a thing called "the silent war" ( i think it was called) very good even though it was a government war movie about the soldiers spread of sexualy transmitted diseases.

"dreams" is one of my favorite films... a masterwork of cinema.

but it was not his last film. "madadayo" was. aside from being a great film, "madadayo" is particularly worth watching when you consider its subject matter-- an old man reflecting on his achievements and contributions as he nears death. i would highly recommend it if you enjoyed dreams.

also, i would recommend you see "dreams" on dvd instead of vhs if possible... with all those wide shots and use of texture.

Ishiro Honda of Godzilla and 'The Mysterians' fame was Kurosawa's best friend.

He co-directed Kurosawa's last films. Their collaberation rejuvenated Kurosawa.

On this one he wrote and directed some of the segments.

Tunnel and Mt.fuji in Red.