OnSuper-8 email error message.

Alessandro Machi

• Premium Member

I tried contacting you via your contact link but about 5 or 6 email addresses popped up and when I hit send I received an error message, so below is the email I was sending you.

About a year ago I mentioned to you that it was frustrating that no one was doing a video projection only but shot on super-8 film film festival other than Norwood Cheek's Attack of the fifty foot reels festival. (this year to be held on November 6th at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood.)

Let me just say that my frustration is compounding because the Vision NEGATIVE stocks made by Kodak are absolutely spectacular, but I don't know of a film negative projector, do you?

Anyway to shake up the cobwebs of those super-8 festival organizers who seem content to destroy film reversal originals made by filmmakers who want to enter their super-8 film in their one cartridge in camera edited film contests but aren't accomodating the newest negative super-8 film stocks made by Kodak because they seem reluctant to actually transfer the films to video?

-Alessandro Machi

I doubt it practically, but theoretically the organizers could digitally project a live telecine feed at the festival, using the camcorder's Neg Art Mode and a blue filter on the lens to rid some of the orange cast.

Bordering on the absurd, you could shoot and edit in camera on neg stock, and give the cart to a lab that would process it and make a projection print or telecine of it for the festival organizers.

Bordering on cheating, you could have a projection print duped using the festival's reversal cartridge.

Gianni :ph34r:

• Premium Member
I doubt it practically, but theoretically the organizers could digitally project a live telecine feed at the festival, using the camcorder's Neg Art Mode and a blue filter on the lens to rid some of the orange cast.

Bordering on the absurd, you could shoot and edit in camera on neg stock, and give the cart to a lab that would process it and make a projection print or telecine of it for the festival organizers.

Bordering on cheating, you could have a projection print duped using the festival's reversal cartridge.

Gianni :ph34r:

With Today's technology, Super-8 (not 16mm, not 35mm) can easily be projected larger and with better quality from a digital video copy than from the film original. I guess that point seems lost on film purists.

Andec Filmtechnik in Berlin, Germany, can make prints from Super 8 negative film: ANDEC Filmtechnik

I don't blame you for not wanting to project your camera original, but festivals such as the one mentioned do that primarily as proof that your film really was edited in-camera. Now that you know it's possible to print to reversal stock, you have a decided edge over the other competitors if you shoot your film, edit it using an EDL, cut the negative into A/B rolls, and then have it printed. But if you cheat in this manner, for God's sake make sure that your final film doesn't exceed 50 feet! :lol:

Oops . . . here's the actual link: Andec Filmtechnik

• Premium Member
Andec Filmtechnik in Berlin, Germany, can make prints from Super 8 negative film: ANDEC Filmtechnik

I don't blame you for not wanting to project your camera original, but festivals such as the one mentioned do that primarily as proof that your film really was edited in-camera. Now that you know it's possible to print to reversal stock, you have a decided edge over the other competitors if you shoot your film, edit it using an EDL, cut the negative into A/B rolls, and then have it printed. But if you cheat in this manner, for God's sake make sure that your final film doesn't exceed 50 feet! :lol:

Oops . . . here's the actual link: Andec Filmtechnik

Or, the film festival organizers can simply transfer the unprocessed negative to video, and project digitally. As I stated earlier, I would be willing to pay extra for this service.