Mini35 Adapter

Landon D. Parks

Can you tell me, does this Mini35 Adapter work on Cameras like Viper, HDC-F950 and HDW-F900?

If so, does it lower the resolution any? ;)

There website said somthing about it wa made for use my the XL1.... bit said nothing if It would work on Hd cameras, and also if lenses like Zeiss Digiprimes could still be used.

Thanks

Ok, I just found info on the PRO35 for HD cameras.... I have one problem... you mean I cant use the Zeiss Digiprimes?!?!?!?!?!!

Film lenses on an HD camera? I dont think film lenses have the qualtiy needed for HD. thats my concern.

However, with the lower depth of field, I think it pays off to use it on live action shots.

Im still worried about the image qualtiy suffering.... not from the Film lenses, but from the way that adapter works.

• Premium Member

I don't see why you're worried about the image suffering, the image of the lens is shown through an intermediate lens to the camera's CCD.

I also don't think you should be worried about the "resolution" being lowered. The chip is capturing the same resolution, regardless of the lens that is on it. Now, you may end up with softer images depending on the lenses you use, but the way the adaptor is set up I think you should have no loss in quality of the image.

You can use Zeiss digiprimes with the HD camera, you just have to take the adaptor off (assuming the digiprimes are setup for your camera's lens mount).

And it is the Pro35 that is made for use on Professional Quality/broadcast cameras. The Mini35 is made for use with Prosumer/Lower end Professional cameras (XL1s, PD150/170, DVX-100a).

Of course if you have the money to throw around to shoot HD with a Pro35 or Zeiss Digiprimes, I'm sure you can find an equitable solution for your concerns! LOL

• Premium Member

Hi,

Yes, the Pro35 must by definition of the way it works cost you a little resolution. It's considered more than good enough for hi-def, though.

The coverage and area used on 35mm-style film primes isn't a concern since you're inherently projecting the full image those lenses are designed to cover, then rephotographing that with the hi-def camera.

Phil

• Premium Member

What you get with the Pro-35 adaptor is 35mm's depth of field and field of view characteristics. But at the sacrifice of some sharpness, but it's not much - less than the lightest diffusion filter made, and considering some people shoot HD with something on the lens like a 1/8 ProMist, you can use the Pro-35 adaptor and just shoot clean.

However, if you want the maximum sharpness, then something like the Zeiss Digi-Primes are better plus they are fast enough to get you a reasonably shallow-focus look (like the look of shooting 35mm at an f/2.8-4 split when they are wide-open.)

My main concern with using the Pro-35 is convenience. It's one extra thing to worry about.

• Premium Member

I used the Pro-35 not long ago on a short; as David mentioned, it added a SLIGHTLY diffused look, but was almost non-existent. The rotating ground glass adds a sense of movement, something akin to grain, but altogether different; in wide shots you dont' notice it much, but in close ups you can feel a texture that's not found in video based formats. Interesting................

And the extra weight was surprising for handheld work- the AC's learned pretty quickly to remember to turn the adapter on and off (you can REALLY notice when it's off).

I liked the results very much and plan on using it for an upcoming feature later this year.

My Biggest concern is the quality of the optics in the adapter, and the fact that 35mm lenses just dont hold up to HD lense quality.

As I once read in an artical somewhere "We had to make new lenses for the HD cameras, and they need to be 2.5 times better than the Film Lenses. Due to the fact that Focal area is 2.5x smaller than 35mm film".

But, im not smart on all of that. If the image qualtiy is still good, then it sounds like a good adapter. and If I can afford to use it, I most certainly will. :)

Of course if you have the money to throw around to shoot HD with a Pro35 or Zeiss Digiprimes

I'v never shot HD, But I dont see the Digiprimes being a lot more expensive than any other lense. or the Pro35 really. :unsure:

Pro35 is somthing ike $26,000.00 new to buy, so Im figuring maybee $200 a day in rental.

Digiprimes are like $800/day for the FULL set. But thats not bad considering a good HD zoom lense will run $600-$700 a day anyway. :rolleyes:

• Premium Member

Optically, the Zeiss DigiPrimes are the best for HD because they were designed to be focused through a prism block onto a small target area. But for other people, getting the depth of field and field of view characteristics of their favorite 35mm cine lenses outweighs that. There's no right or wrong answer here. Also, remember that the 35mm cine lenses are being focused onto a 35mm-sized groundglass, not through a prism block onto the CCD, so they don't necessarily have to be 2.5X better. It's the Pro-35 device that has to relay the image onto the CCD and it probably does a good job of that. The main resolution loss is from picking the image up off of a groundglass.